Honored Contributor

What Do You Use Now For Large Roasts Please?

I'm finally moving myself to get a roaster.  When I get a big chuck roast and want to put in a lot of vegetables, I need more room.  For turkeys, I buy those disposable aluminum turkey roasting containers.  I don't want to constantly use those and create a footprint.

I found a nice covered stainless one on William Sonoma, just $199.00!  I can do better on amazon for sure.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What Do You Use Now For Large Roasts Please?

Spoiler

I've used electric roasters for at least thirty years and I think that's an expensive roaster ( WS usually is). You should be able to find a Nesco or a Rival for easily under $100.

Respected Contributor

I use an enamel coated Dutch oven. I also use a Curtis Stone deep multi pan. I've recently been forgoing all pans and using my rotisserie feature in my countertop oven. When I scaled my kitchen items down, I discarded my roasting pan. I don't miss it.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  We bought a Circulon at Costco several years ago for about $18-$20. It's very heavy and comes with a nice V-rack but no lid. I always use it for Thanksgiving turkey. For some reason, the turkeys always cook much faster in this roaster (at least an hour less). Before this roaster I used the throw-aways as well. I like this one because I can cook the juices on the stove top when making gravy.

Honored Contributor

I use a Cuisinart pan that came with a rack.  Bought many years ago at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

black speckled roasting pan with lid. tons of space for a large chuck roast or two PLUS multiple vegetables. i do sear the floured and seasoned meat  on all sides on the stove prior to putting it into the pan. i then deglaze the pan with red wine or beer and add it to the roasting pan. also good for roasting chickens and turkeys.

its an older roaster, but does such a fantastic job of keeping everything moist and flavorful. it is also not heavy at all. i add potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery usually. everyone invites themselves over for dinner. LOL

black speckled roasting pan with lid.jpg

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I have had a cheap-o 18 quart roaster for about 20 years.  Drag it out every Thaniksgiving and Christmas and have LOVED it!!  Last year after Christmas I bought a brand new one in red (oh yeah!) mainl because it has a window in the lid and I can now see things.  I love this thing.  This year I re-heated an eight lb Turkey breast and it turned out perfect!  Mty old one cooked Turkeys, Hams (especially good) and I only paid about $39 for it.  Forget the maker because it was so cheap, but I've been extremely happy with it!!  Good luck, get the one you love!  They're great..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Who can afford to buy a large chuck roast?  I'd have to mortgage the honestead.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:
Spoiler

I've used electric roasters for at least thirty years and I think that's an expensive roaster ( WS usually is). You should be able to find a Nesco or a Rival for easily under $100.

@patbz 

Thank you.  I wouldn't buy cookware at this point from WS.  I wouldn't want a "show piece" because I don't serve that way when DS, DIL, and the 2 GS are here.

I am, however, the cook of the family and am teaching our 14 yr old GS to cook.

Really like that one from amazon and don't want a top of the counter roaster.  I do have a large crock pot.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Who can afford to buy a large chuck roast?  I'd have to mortgage the honestead.

@Kachina624 

I was just thinking the same thing while looking through the King Soopers (our Krogers in Denver) weekly ad.  Bottom Round Roast 4.99 / lb, why so much?  I thought round was used for a pot roast meal as it is an economy cut.  

Kings also has ribeyes on sale for 5.97 lb which is a better cut; that's a good price.  I just don't get it.