Respected Contributor

What Do You Think About Adding Lemon to Everything?

So I watch Food Network, especially The Kitchen which is my favorite. One thing I've noticed is on most shows across the board the chefs or cooks always finish off a dish with a squeeze of lemon.

Do you do this? I'm not the biggest fan of lemon unless it's in a dessert or with seafood (lemon and seafood is like a match made in heaven lol)

I understand wanting to cut some of the fattiness of a dish but I've tried some recipes and added the lemon as directed at the end and, just my opinion, I don't like it so I don't add it.

What do you think of adding "a squeeze of lemon"? Do you do that?

Respected Contributor

Re: What Do You Think About Adding Lemon to Everything?

I like lemon.  I find it helps me to reduce my sodium intake.  The lemon seems to replace the salt flavor and I use less salt.  Kind of like a salt replacement.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Valued Contributor

I actually do this occasionally.  I ate at my favorite middle eastern restaurant recently and I always order a cup of their lentil soup and it's served with a lemon wedge Smiley Happy

I don't buy lemons just to have around but if I have them, I might add to soup.  I do think it cuts the heavy taste of some foods. 

Honored Contributor

I prefer lime....

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I do love lemon, and I've found that it " wakes up "  the flavor of many dishes, especially long cooked soups and stews. A little vinegar will do the same thing. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Instead of the sauces that accompany seafood and chicken, I request several lemon slices.   Saves on calories and I prefer the clean, crisp tanginess of the lemon.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Although I don't add lemon to everything, I agree with @QVCkitty1 — a little splash of acid can do wonders in many dishes.

Honored Contributor

If I happen to have lemons or limes, and I actually think about them, I'll use them.

Sometimes I see a few in my fridge that have to be tossed out.

Maybe I should post a huge note on my fridge:  'Use those lemons!! '

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

I like lemon.  I find it helps me to reduce my sodium intake.  The lemon seems to replace the salt flavor and I use less salt.  Kind of like a salt replacement.

I agree lemons are inexpensive and I usually get a bag, but I like fish so I use lemon often.

Honored Contributor

I can't think of many soups or stews that aren't better with a dasy of a good vinegar or lemon at the end.  It amazes me how much brighter the taste is.  Or sometimes hot sauce for us.

Some people prefer food on the bland side and some like a little zip or tartness or brightness.  It's just differences in people and tastes.