Honored Contributor

Re: What Do You Like In Your Grocer's Deli?

@Chopsmom wrote:

I only get Boars Head well done roast beef or their Pit Craft smoked turkey.  I've found that any other brand has either a weird taste or texture.  

As far as salads, I like my local store's potato salad, but my husband will only eat my potato salad.   

@Chopsmom wrote:

I only get Boars Head well done roast beef or their Pit Craft smoked turkey.  I've found that any other brand has either a weird taste or texture.  

As far as salads, I like my local store's potato salad, but my husband will only eat my potato salad.   

@Chopsmom 

I get Boar's Head meats when I am not having tuna or chicken salads from Fresh Market.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really don't go to the regular grocery store very much anymore.  I will go occasionally.  I shop every week at my local farm market (It's a sizable store with lots of produce, meat, poultry and baked goods).  I also stop off on my way home at a local organic market and for larger items and paper goods I go to Costco.

I will get some deli items at the local Jewish restaurant/deli counter.  I like their barley mushroom soup, cabbage soup and some pastries. 

I also go to a local Italian market hat has a lot of prepared foods.  I mostly get their chicken salad and chicken parmesan.

We're supposed to get a Wegman's in the next town over soon.  Ground has broken for it but it might take more than a year for it to be completed.  I will be excited to see how that turns out.  The other two Wegmans near me are half an hour in different directions so I rarely go.

Esteemed Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

Southern Potato Salad...yum!

What makes a potato salad "southern" if you don't mind my asking?

My deli counter doesn't have a good potato salad, but their macaroni salad is good and their chicken salad is the best I've ever had!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG 

Great question. Twin pack of prosciutto from Costco, caperberries to eat with the prosciutto, blue cheese stuffed olives, spicy olives, pepperoncini. Horseradish cheddar pub cheese & mushroom brie from Trader Joe's.  Rotisserie chicken from Costco.     

Honored Contributor

@rockygems123 

Our best rotisserie chicken comes from Fresh Market.  They have a white wine choice.  At our main grocery store, the chickens are over cooked.

DH doesn't like it at all (he just may not like baked chicken)

Esteemed Contributor

I love my Dierbergs deli (local chain grocer) and buy from them frequently. They have a larger smoker in front of their stores, so I buy their smoked baby back ribs a lot in the summer. Their chicken salad with grapes and pecans is excellent and usually just 1/3 or 1/2 pound is enough for a couple of lunches for me. All of their veggie salads are excellent and I buy them frequently for easy side dishes. And fresh sliced roast beef, pastrami and corned beef are staples for great sandwiches (hot and cold).

I'm envious of all of you who say you'd rather make your own than buy from a local deli. I'm in my 70s and so is hubby. He's disabled and can no longer help with the cooking, so having a good deli works great for me, especially since I don't make a lot of big meals or servings anymore.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

Southern Potato Salad...yum!

What makes a potato salad "southern" if you don't mind my asking?

My deli counter doesn't have a good potato salad, but their macaroni salad is good and their chicken salad is the best I've ever had!

Publix's has mayo,, hard boiled egg, celery and pickle relish

Publix has three styles of potato salad...i like them all really.

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I never buy anything from grocery store deli counters.

I dont understand this kind of response to a question and why bother

@LizzieInSRQ You just posted about what you don't like and it's off topic. . . irony.

Honored Contributor

Simple as it is, homemade chicken salad from our local family owned for years Weiland's Gourmet Market. You - well I cannot be there and not go home without it!!!!!!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I don't buy much from the deli.  Sometimes just a little bit of turkey or ham for daughter's school lunch.  Husband won't eat cold stuff, like macaroni or potato salad.  My daughter only likes my macaroni salad which I don't make very often.  Sp really no need.  I buy only from Publix.  Used to from Kroger but I don't like Kroger's deli or meat departments.  Haven't bought meat from Kroger in years.