Honored Contributor

Re: What Cooking Oils Do You Keep In Your Pantry?

[ Edited ]

EVOO, Avocado oil, Coconut oil, Ghee.  I use MCT oil daily, but it's not a cooking oil. 

I avoid vegetable, corn, canola, soybean, cotton seed, grape seed, sunflower, safflower, and peanut oils as much as possible, with only a few exceptions for soybean oil.  Duke's Mayo and a little salad dressing, for instance. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have extra virgin olive oil, light olive oil, peanut oil, garlic flavored extra virgin olive oil, Wok Oil & sesame oil.

Also, a can of GEM oil....love it on salads.

3658A7DA-FF44-4F69-9BA0-C932CDB065FF.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner   My mom never fried anything either. 

You'd better think twice before messing with hubby's Canola oil.  Did you know the San Luis Valley in SW Colorado is a huge producer of Canola?  I was born there many years ago. 

@Kachina624 Duly noted!  Woman Surprised  Thanks! Woman Wink

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

We don't fry things but I do saute onions, garlic, etc.  We have Extra Virgin Olive  Oil and  avocado oil.  The avocado oil has no flavor and doesn't smoke when we lightly spray in the air fryer to broil or grill.

eta: forgot to mention sesame oil when making Asian dishes. So very tasty! 

Honored Contributor

Mostly olive oil but have a neutral oil as well as a white and black truffle oil. OMG--used the truffle oil in my popcorn popper and then sprinkled with a touch of smoked truffle salt--wow---was so good!!

Respected Contributor

We fry stuff, but have cut back from our earlier days. I keep Crisco oil, a variety of olive oil from very light to moderate intensity, and I always have an open can of Crisco and an unopened can for backup. Cornbread is cooked in a piping hot iron skillet with a little melted Crisco to sear the batter as it is poured into the skillet and placed in the oven.  My family's cooking style would not be ranked very high on the heart healthy list, but it is really tasty. We just don't have it as often as we once did.

Honored Contributor

I only use vegetable oil.

Respected Contributor

I don't have a lot of oils on hand but they're not kept in the pantry...all are in the refrigerator. I don't use them often enough so the fridge prolongs their life. I have olive oil, a garlic flavored olive oil, and canola oil. It works for me.    

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your answers!  I am for sure going to try avocado oil now!  And almost all of us are using olive oil--and now it is rare to see some that isn't extra virgin!  I remember when that was difficult to find.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner  I'm never without extra virgin olive oil. I use it a lot on salads and to qick toss vegetables after I steam them in a frying pan. With fresh garlic of course.

I keep Wesson on hand, coconut oil, avocado oil, peanut oil for Chinese wok dishes and sesame oil.