Esteemed Contributor

Re: What COOKBOOK would you recommend for a GIFT?

For pressure cooking I would not recommend "Cooking under pressure" (cute name tho) by QVC BlueJean Chef.  It was advertised as using items in your pantry.  Well, not in my pantry- what is Arugula or Quinoa rice and you'll need Madeira wine.

Poof, your shopping bill will triple.

Esteemed Contributor

Depends on the Cook.  Lots of good Ethinic Cooking Books out there.  Food from India, Mexico, China, etc. 

Do they like Vegetarian Cooking?  Lots of choices there. 

Then there's always those with health/weight issues.  You might start by narrowing your search with what the cook is all about. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Mark Bittman is one of my favorites.  I have several ebooks and hard copies.

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

I would never give a recommendation for a cookbook - like giving one for a MD. No one agrees. LOL. But through the years, for me has been Betty Crocker, have several generations of that cookbook and also cookbooks put together by organizations are always outstanding.

Esteemed Contributor

Over the years, I've tried a number of recipes from Wms Sonoma, only to find them nearly one note dishes and rather disappointing.  But, that's just me.

If I were to gift someone with a cookbook, it would not be instructional or complicated.  I'd probably go with The New York Times Cookbook, which has a really nice range of recipes with a decent geographic range.

Valued Contributor

CARMIE....i agree with you on the Fanny Farmer cookbook.  My mother gave this to me when I married MANY years ago and I still reference it weekly.  I also loved anything done by America's Test Kitchen....enjoy reading the testing they do to get to the best product.

WINIFRED... LOL!  .Excellent point that no one will ever agree on a cookbook recommendation.  

Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

Mark Bittman is one of my favorites.  I have several ebooks and hard copies.

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Fast is a great book to help someone learn how to cook efficiently.  I had to cook for a family as a teen when I wasn't in school, and learned to do things that speed up the process and cut down on dirty dishes as this book outlines.  For the new cook, or one who seems to find it difficult to cook, this is a great book if they really want to learn and be more efficient. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner My son bought himself the first one and I bought him the fast one in an ebook.   

~~
Honored Contributor

@debic wrote:

@Sooner My son bought himself the first one and I bought him the fast one in an ebook.   

Maybe it's a guy thing?  My husband cooks a lot and often reaches for these cookbooks first!  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@debic wrote:

Maybe it's a guy thing?  My husband cooks a lot and often reaches for these cookbooks first!  

Well it does say simple on the front. LOL   My husband can't boil water, but the kid can and does cook.

~~