Honored Contributor

What COOKBOOK would you recommend for a GIFT?

[ Edited ]

Williams-Sonoma Cooking at Home anniversary edition

Since it is the giving season, I thought it would be nice to suggest some cookbooks we think would make a great gift.

I was just looking through the new Williams-Sonoma Cooking at Home anniversary edition, and started to think what a great gift it would make.  It is a big beautiful book, not cheap!, but full of fairly basic recipes that would not be difficult to make--most anyway.

It has great variety, and appeal for something a little different without being exotic or full of hard to find ingredients.  I think of all my books, this is one I could count on to pull out and make a meal for company that would be interesting and appealing to most people, but would use pretty basic ingredients.

Anyway, for someone who loves to cook and entertain, I don't think you could go wrong with this one!

EMERIL Cooking with Power
Do you know someone who loves kitchen appliances?  They would be thrilled with this book!  I have just gotten a copy but haven't cooked out of it yet.  But it has lots of good looking recipes for those electrics in the kitchen.

Honored Contributor

Re: What COOKBOOK would you recommend for a GIFT?

[ Edited ]

I always give " The Fannie Farmer Cookbook" as a gift.  I am a seasoned cook, but still use mine for recipes and reference it often.

It's a must for every kitchen IMO.

Respected Contributor

The Pioneer Woman Cookbooks. I just bought the new one-The Pioneer Woman Cooks Dinnertime. It's a beautiful book. Full of color & pictures & easy to follow instructions. Taste Of Home Christmas also made me buy it. Desserts are my favorite thing to make & this has some good ones. If I was gifting a cookbook I would be sure to try & suit it to the person, of course, but these are the 2 I had to buy.

Valued Contributor

Budget Bytes by Beth Moncel. Love her blog and she has really practical recipes.

Honored Contributor

I reference both my "Betty Crocker Cookbook" and "Cook's Illustrated Cookbook" on a weekly basis.

Respected Contributor

If you have somebody with health concerns-such as diabetes, or who is struggling with weight, I absolutely love Marlene Koch and her "Eat What You Love" books. I also love the books put out by Cook's Country (the PBS series)......Taste of Home never dissapoints.....there are so many really good cook books out there and I collect them. By all means, you could certainly tailor them to a person's needs. My son and his girl friend have recently discovered the joys of slow cooking. They have a crock pot, but he's getting ready to buy a house. For his birthday I bought him the Le Creuset TSV and a Le Creuset cookbook that I know they will use.(My plan is to add new pieces every year to his collection). I have a few of Ree Drummond's books and they are wonderful for beginners because she takes you step by step with her gorgeous photography, but seasoned cooks would enjoy them too.....alas.....so many great ideas and so many delicious ways to prepare and enjoy, but so little body to store those calories on!!!!

Poodlepet2

Valued Contributor

Do you have children on your list? Williams Sonoma has the American Girl Baking Cookbook. I gave it to my 8 year old granddaughter for her birthday. It makes a cute gift packaged with a colorful spatula. I tried to purchase it on Amazon but apparently it's exclusive to WS until March.

Frequent Contributor

I like the smaller, hardbound cookbooks offered at Barnes and Noble.  Even though they're small, they're not overwhelming, they're easy to store and contain great recipes.  I also like the Fix it and Forget it cookbooks.  If they're a baker, I recommend The Cake Mix Doctor. 

Respected Contributor

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Basic cookbook  Joy of Cooking,  good reference for cooking everything

does the person want a cookbook?