Honored Contributor

Re: What Are You Eating This Week?

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

How are you stir frying please?  I gave up my hand hammered wok when I went with a glass top stove which turns the eyes off and on.

I would be stir frying, needing the heat, and suddenly- GONE!  I can't tell you how aggravating!  I never bought an electric wock because food can't be pulled up to the sides for steaming.

Any hints appreciated!Smiley Happy

@ECBG My husband is the wok person now--he does a better job than I do!  We have the flat bottomed carbon steel woks, but in the last few years he has switched to a wok-shaped All-Clad pan we have.

He doesn't have a problem with food sticking, and says it cleans up well (he adds hot water to it when he finishes cooking).  

I think any good skillet that transmits heat well should work--one with high sides so you can move the food around.  

We have a crummy gas cooktop.  At our other house we had a wonderful gas Dacor one and boy do I miss it! When the pandemic slows down, I want to replace one here if I don't have to tear out the granite to do it!   

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

Thank you.

I just watched some videos, both by Oriental instructors, and thought they would address the "off-on" of glass top ranges, they didn't.  Grrrr........

I certainly can't toss the contents of a wok in the air to stir ingredients!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

Thank you.

I just watched some videos, both by Oriental instructors, and thought they would address the "off-on" of glass top ranges, they didn't.  Grrrr........

@ECBG We use a traditional chan spatula/scoop to move the food and it works fine.  We don't toss either, but I can toss a pizza crust!  Woman Very Happy

How do you do it?  The stir-fry not the pizza. . . ?

Honored Contributor

We had brunch out today, so dinner was picking from what was In the fridge. Barring any last minute changes, here's my meal plan for the rest of the week:

Tuesday - steak, sautéed mushroom, roasted asparagus

Wednesday - grilled chicken on a Caesar salad

Thursday - flank steak fajitas, pork rinds w/guacamole, broccoli-cauliflower salad

Friday - tossed salad with leftover steak 

Saturday - Buffalo wings, celery w/bleu cheese dip

Sunday - pick from what's in the fridge or leftover fajitas, if there's any left. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Sooner 

Thank you.

@ECBG We use a traditional chan spatula/scoop to move the food and it works fine.  We don't toss either, but I can toss a pizza crust!  Woman Very Happy

How do you do it?  The stir-fry not the pizza. . . ?

@Sooner 

It's been a while, but my fav is the burgundy beef stir fry.

I cut up a sirlion steak and marinate over night in burgandy wine.

I stir fry the meat in olive oil and remove.

I add oil, and vegetables:

Boc choy and greens

spring onions and greens

fresh mushrooms

snow peas

broccoli

cauliflower 

Water chestnuts

Heat, add beef back to heat;

Serve over long grain white rice.

Finish with oyster sauce and soy sauce

Honored Contributor

@ECBG Pretty much what we do except it is almost always either shrimp or vegetarian and we add a few cashews at the end.  And I would never add cauliflower, husband never water chestnuts!  Woman Wink

But we always put in slices of red bell peppers which we LOVE (this I get organic) and quite a bit of onion, and usually celery.   And always a tiny bit of sesame oil near the end.

If we want a sauce or glaze we make a little slurry of soy sauce, ginger, and a dash of Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry, with a tad of water and corn starch at the end.

Funny how sometimes you want something and sometimes something else--especially with stir fry dinners!  

But we make stir fry something almost every week.  

Honored Contributor

@SandySparkles 

I just saw this.

Here, we call your dumplings "rolled dumplings".  I've had both and both are good.  In the winter, I like cranberry sauce with chicken and dumplings.

Our sons liked this dish as well.  My DIL can't take the consistency of the dumplings and gravy.  I haven't made this in quite a while.

Respected Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

@ECBG 

@ECBG wrote:

@SandySparkles 

What is "chicken and sticks" please?  I wonder if it's regional?  Thanks!

It is essentially chicken and dumplings, but the dumplings are rolled out, much like you would a pie dough, and cut into strips; hence "sticks". I should have referred to them as slicks, but I am just so accustomed to calling them sticks because my son began calling them that when he was young.😁 They are more commonly referred to as chicken and slicks; a slippery/slick type of dumpling. I prefer cutting mine into a diamond pattern. I make the slicks with butter, and the chicken broth used to boil the chicken. They are quite rich, and quite delicious.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

@SandySparkles @ECBG , We call those Chicken Pastry. This is the only way my mother cooked them. It is the way I do it also. Many around here call them dumplings.

Honored Contributor

We make dumplings (for chicken and dumplings) out of Bisquick.  They are the big fluffy ones!  EASY ones!

Monday: We had stew for supper over grits, and waldorf chicken salad for lunch.

Tuesday: Homemade vegetable soup for lunch; pot stickers and carrot and raisin salad (with a little heat to it)

Wednesday: turkey chili for lunch; and hamburgers and sweet potato oven fries for supper.

Thursday: Vegetarian eggplant, pepper and onion lasagna with cottage in it, broccoli on the side; don't know what for supper yet--maybe chicken gumbo.

Friday: Sandwiches for lunch; chicken and sausage jambalaya for supper.  

Saturday: simple lunch; homemade pizza for supper

Sunday: Eye of round roast

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I make the big fluffy dumplings which we call drop dumplings.  I have heard of people using refrigerated biscuits that weren't "flaky" but I never did.

I usually put big pieces on onions and thinly sliced carrots in the broth.