Honored Contributor

What Are Some of the Sweets You Grew Up Cooking this time of Year?

I'll start.  OMG!  I've told you guys I was raised by my Grandma, her daughter (my Aunt...the OCD..intense one) and my Dad (alcoholic, but lovable).

I don't remember my Grandma ever baking...that was my Aunt's 'thing'.  Boy could she bake.  

Remember back then everything was from scratch.  No opening a box to make a cake....all from scratch.

She'd start baking about the time of my birthday (December 12) and from then on ....there was no stopping her.

She baked all year long, but I especially remember the Christmas treats.  I'm very, very picky so a lot of them I didn't eat, but I loved the way the smells filled our house.

After she'd decorated the house (remember slipcovers) they were all changed.  The furniture rearranged.  Different curtains (no venetian blinds).  The whole atmosphere said, "Christmas".

That's the way things were done back then.  My friends didn't go that extent but their house were decorated to the hilt.

So, my aunt's speciality was and "orange cake".  Totally from scratch.  Down to the tiny bits she'd put on that amazing orange icing.  No artificial anything...She used the juice from the orange for the icing and she'd chip the peel of the orange and incorporate it into the icing.

Another speciality was "Coconut cake".  Again, the real deal.  I didn't care much for that but I'd maybe eat 1/2 a piece (the part where the icing was).

Of course she made real fruit cake.  I never even tasted that but everyone moaned and groaned over it.

As for me and my girls.  Our speciality are cookies with almond flavoring instead of vanilla.  They are wonderful.  All three of my girls make those.

My speciality is banana nut bread.  I make little loaves for friends and neighbors.  I mix nuts in the batter (just buy the mix) and I put real mashed bananas into the batter along with nuts.  I also put cinnimon and sugar on top of the loaf before it cooks.  Go very, very light on the sugar mostly cinnomon.

So, finally, what are some of the things you bake that you associate with Christmas.  

It doesn't matter if you no longer bake, what do you remember growing up?  I enjoy reading everyone's posts.

I would think there are special goodies specific to your past family nationalities.  Maybe specific to what part of the country where you live.

One thing my family grew up with are called "hot puffs".  They are a kind of fried dough that blows up fat.  We usually eat them with eggs...My grandma used to make those all through the year.  My girls refuse to make them because they say, "It's special to you mom".  

Phoey!  Ha!  They don't want to take the time.  Ha!

I don't think people (young(er) people bake like they used to.  Maybe it's just too easy to buy "it" already bought.

It's too bad because they'll never know the exquisite tastes, the genuine taste of something like a real fresh orange cake, or Christmas cookies made from scratch.

Come on people.  Please take the time to post some of your favorites, either what you cook or especially what you remember growing up eating.

I'll read all of them.  I think it could be fun.  Please!

Honored Contributor

Re: What Are Some of the Sweets You Grew Up Cooking this time of Year?

Butter cookies that mom and me made.  Rolled out the dough, used cookie cutters in the shape of trees stars, etc., glazed it with egg whites and put on sprinkles.  An annual ritual until I was way into my teens.  

Honored Contributor

My grandmothers were the bakers (one Russian, one French).   Yikes!   Rich "exotic" stuff......!!!!!!!    My ma was more-or-less Betty Crocker.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

On the Italian side, my aunt Zia Michalena made wonderful lemon cake style cookies with a sugar glaze, among many other Italian cookies that I cannot remember.

On the Polish side, my Aunt Harriet made butter cookies and the dough was pushed through a pastry bag with a tip that made the cookie have little tracks on them. They were buttery and flaky.

My dear MIL, from Arkansas, made pecan cups and rum balls and kolacky.

I like making fruit pies and love to serve them with vanilla ice cream.

Great thread!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Walnut chocolate fudge.  Sugar, milk, corn syrup, cocoa, butter, and vanilla cooked on the stovetop and beaten forever with a wooden spoon until thickened.

Esteemed Contributor

We always made Christmas cookies, cut out sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies. 

My mother made a vanilla wafer cake. I haven't made it in years. It's similar to a pound cake but with crushed vanilla wafers rather than flour. It's very moist. 
  There is a date/orange cake we made with orange juice poured through holes in it. Yummy! 
   My excuse not to bake is that my double ovens are over 46 years old and I don't want to replace them!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have carried on a tradition from my ex and now deceased MIL.

We did not get along, but she started the tradition of cookie baking from scratch for Christmas. Made several varieties, all very small in size. Said Christmas cookies were each like a little gift, to be shared and enjoyed by family & friends. Each year I try to cut back a little bit, but I have at least 7 varieties planned for this year, all from scratch, although I have been known to sneak in a cookie from a mix or bakery made rainbow cookies for DS, who will not be home this year. Will share with family & friends.

Back when my children were young I hosted several Cookie exchanges. I think the Food Police have put an end to that.

No one on my mother's or father's sides baked, so no special Christmas treats

Honored Contributor

My mother made applesauce cake, chocolate and peanut butter fudge. After I was married, we would make a big batch of peanut butter balls and split them.

My MIL made date bars and fresh apple cake.
Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Cookie press cookies, pralines.  Love baking at the holidays.  

The year mom died one of the last things we did was make pizelles.  She wasn't able to stand so I made the dough and had her sit at the table and use the pizelle iron.  She passed away a few days later.  Every time I take that iron out to make cookies I think of her and now I can smile. 

Wonderful memories conjured up this time of year and some very sad ones as well. 

Honored Contributor

I miss the fudge with chopped pecans, the Mamie Eisenhower type of fudge made with marshmallow creme.

I used to make dozens and dozens of fancy cookies and had parties for my high school friends.  Loved to bake.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment