Honored Contributor

Went back to get some info on vegetarian soup recipes of the past

I'm going to try soups that are good for us, for our cold days. I'll go through a few more of my books to narrow down a few of these. They just sort of interest both of us (provided I do the soup) but that's ok. Want some for the crockpot mostly.

So Forrest, I'm doing one of yours from two years ago and housecat. Both sounded good.

So if for this year, people would like to add soup recipes for this year, it would be appreciated. I'm not big on some vegetables in soups, but I need to get brave and try and find out if I like some of them I've never given a chance.

So thank you to anyone else thinking along soup made at home this time of year for this year.

Came back to add, I also just found the thread on soup that was out last month. So I'll go through all those too. Thanks ladies!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Went back to get some info on vegetarian soup recipes of the past

Found this tonight...sounds good to me! Never seen so many veggies in one soup!

This hearty Italian soup appears on the menu year-round at Grand Central Bakery, starring whatever seasonal vegetables come into the kitchen from local farms. At home, you can be just as flexible with ingredients. Add ribbons of kale instead of cabbage, make a summer version with zucchini and fresh basil instead of butternut squash and oregano, or dream up another combination based on whatever you have in your crisper drawer. This recipe calls for garbanzos, but white beans make a fine substitute. For a richer broth, let a Parmesan rind simmer along with the soup. Do be generous with the garlicky croutons; these help flavor and thicken the soup and soak up the delicious broth.

makes about 2 quarts, enough for 6 to 8 servings

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive or canola oil
1/2 large yellow onion, diced (1 cup)
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1/2 bulb fennel, diced or shaved
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
11/2 teaspoons ground toasted fennel seeds
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped, or 11/2 teaspoons dried oregano
pinch chili flakes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 28-ounce can diced canned tomatoes
7 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 bay leaf
13/4 cups cooked garbanzo beans or one 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup shredded green cabbage
1 cup diced and peeled butternut squash
3/4 cup cauliflower, cut in bite-size pieces
1/3 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
kosher salt and black pepper, to taste

In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium-high flame. Add onion, reduce heat to low and cook until very soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Stir in celery, carrot, fennel and salt. Increase heat to medium-high and sauté until soft. Add garlic, ground fennel, oregano and chili flakes and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant, being careful not to let garlic burn.

Add wine and deglaze. Stir in tomato paste, diced tomatoes, water, bay leaf, cooked garbanzo beans, squash and cabbage. Watch the quantity of tomatoes; this is a brothy soup with tomatoes in it, not a tomato soup.

Bring to a simmer and continue cooking until vegetables are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and continue simmering for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding additional salt and pepper as needed. Remove bay leaf.

Meanwhile, make croutons. To serve, place 1 or 2 croutons in a wide soup bowl. Ladle soup over croutons. Garnish with additional chopped Italian parsley, if desired, and a drizzle of good-quality extra virgin olive oil and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Garlic Croutons

1/2 loaf crusty bread, such as Grand Central’s Rustic Baguette or Como (Day-old bread is fine.)
extra virgin olive oil
3-4 whole garlic cloves
shredded Parmesan cheese

Slice bread into 1/2-inch slices and place on baking sheet. Cut garlic cloves in half and rub bread slices with cut side. Brush with olive oil. Toast in a 375-degree oven for about 5 minutes, until tops are golden brown.

Honored Contributor

When I make vege soups, once in the bowl, I top it off with extra virgin olive oil, grated parmesan cheese, and cracked pepper.

Trusted Contributor

I have three go-to soups for the winter season. The first is a French onion soup that I learned at a fun class on soups at the CIA. It's really the standard recipe, however where most recipes use white wine to de-glaze the onions, this recipe uses Calvados (an apple brandy from France). It imparts the most delicious flavor, ever! The secret the chefs told me at the CIA is the onions need to caramelize for about an hour!

The second is Ina Garten's recipe for Italian Wedding soup. Just made some today. It's truly a one bowl meal with a slice of hearty toasted Italian bread.

The third is Giada's lentil soup. I add some whole wheat pasta but I'll bet a grain would taste just as good.

I know you said you were looking for slow cooker type of recipes and I don't make any of these in a slow cooker, but I'll bet you could. These are not the type of soups that take all day to cook which is why I like them!