Respected Contributor

Re: Well, we had another pot luck at church tonight...

I would like to know how to make watermelon pie also.

New Contributor

I personally prefer store bought items for pot lucks because one does not always know how clean others' kitchens are. My husband always looks forward to pot lucks for all the different items to choose from.

I also prefer to not eat at buffets unless we're among the first for the shift change.

Honored Contributor

Watermelon pie ......   seriously?    

Never heard of it.

Respected Contributor

Actually, a lot of the people are retired or are housewives who don't have small children, so time shouldn't be much of an issue.  When I lived in Hawaii the pot lucks at my church were fabulous - a real feast that everyone looked forward to...and as far as time went, almost everyone had two (or even three) jobs, and many had small kids.  Thing is, when you care about something, you make time!

As for cost, dishes need not be expensive (my three bean casserole was enough for 12-15 people and cost around $5 to make), and no one is expecting anyone to bring enough for an entire meal for the whole crowd - most people take just a taste of everything, or just what they like.

It was mostly the older people who brought the fast food; most of the young ones brought nothing but their appetites, except for one young man who brought five pizzas.  Personally, I love cooking, and it's one of the reasons I've always enjoyed pot lucks - I don't have anyone to cook for on a regular basis.  Cat Sad

The watermelon pie is a huge hit every time I make it, and it's really, really easy - takes no time at all.  Oddly, even people who don't like watermelon often love it!

Creamy Watermelon Pie (No Bake)

Prep: 15 min. + chilling
Yield: 6-8 Servings

Ingredients

1 package (3 ounces) watermelon gelatin
1/4 cup boiling water
1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 cups cubed seeded Watermelon
1 graham cracker crust (9 inches)

Directions

In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Cool to room temperature. Whisk in whipped topping; fold in watermelon. Spoon into crust. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Yield: 6-8 servings.

Notes:  I use most of a 20 oz. carton of whipped topping, and more like 3 cups of watermelon in order to get a nicely mounded pie.  I also use little balls or chunks of watermelon around the edges for decoration. 
Respected Contributor

Thanks! the Watermelon pie sounds great! 

I am getting a giggle on this thread becuse my avatar shows me at a potluck! (NOT a church one,though!)so you KNOW I like them!

My question is: Did anyone  ( like the ldy that took you to task last time) make any gluten free desserts for the gluten intolerant churchmember??!!!

Respected Contributor

Mother, that happened with my BFF where someone at her church told her that she should make a gluten-free cake just because ONE person couldn't eat her regular cake.  Personally, I don't care for gluten-free products as do many others, so making a special cake for one person is pointless.

I didn't plan to purposely make something vegetarian this time; I did only because I was looking for something inexpensive after making the ziti with grass-fed Australian beef and seven kinds of cheese, but when I pointed out to the vegerarian that she could eat it, I didn't even get an acknowledgment.  From what I could see, the only thing she was able to eat this time was the salsa and the mac & cheese.

From now on, I'll make what I feel like making (and eating)...if anyone doesn't like it, tough! 

Contributor

That attitude from a free-food recipient reminds me of one year when it seemed like half the kids who rang our bell on Halloween looked over the huge basket of about five different candies and asked if we had anything else, because they were allergic, or they just turned up their noses in general to the selection.

If a child is allergic to Halloween goods, maybe it would be safer (and more polite) to not go out and ring doorbells.

Honored Contributor

I'll give them credit because they keep trying.  Maybe the people don't come for the food as much as to share fellowship with others of their faith.

Esteemed Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

Some people do not enjoy cooking.

This topic reminds me that I am sick of baked ziti at get togethers. JMO

If you don't enjoy cooking then don't volunteer to bring food. I've never known a Church to force people to bring food.

Of course no one is forced but even if you do not enjoy cooking, a person may want to help out. That is why I usually bring the drinks, paper goods, or a simple dessert. Nothing wrong with a store bought tray of food either.

Valued Contributor

I think people are just lazy................this is church!!  Thanks for the watermelon pie recipe!