Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

I hope the OP will forgive me for hijacking her post but I found out something about wine the other day that surprised me.  

I admit, my husband and I are not patrons of expensive restaurants where you are able to bring your own wine.    I've always heard about such places and assumed that you would be charged a small fee for them to open it.    I was talking to a friend the other day who had just come back from a trip to Vegas.  She and her husband had gone there with another couple to celebrate their wedding anniversary.   She told me that the couple had brought them a $100.00 bottle of wine to have with their dinner at a restaurant.  

I thought that was a nice thing to do and then she told me the restaurant charged them a $40.00 uncorking fee.   After my shock, she told me that most restaurants charge between $30.00 to $50.00 as an uncorking fee when you bring your own wine.  

I said to my husband, I think you and I must not live a very sophisticated life because there's no way that I would pay that kind of money.  I would just order a glass of the house wine and then open my wine in my own kitchen.   I also would never pay $100.00 for a bottle of wine.  

I guess if you have that kind of discretionary income and don't mind dropping a sizable amount of change for a waiter to just open your wine then have a nice evening.  For me, I couldn't even enjoy a glass after spending that amount of money.

I guess my husband and I are either frugal or just cheap.  Lol!

@J Town Girl. In my area, it is not expensive restaurants that have you bring your own wine. It depends on the alcohol laws in your state. In NJ it cost a lot for a restaurant to get a liquor license so restaurants can let you BYOB as we call it. They will uncork but it there is no fee at least in restaurants I go to.Expensive ones may do this. In NY it doesn’t cost as much for a liquor license so it is very rare when you can bring your own bottle. You must purchase from the restaurant.
It all depends on the laws in the state where you are drinking.