Honored Contributor

Re: Well...Its happened I've emptied my freezer & ....

I did that very thing last November when we moved back to our house from a summer of major house repair that required a rental house for us---pulled out all the mystery stuff and things that had grown an inch of snow on it, and dumped it,  cleaned it out and have since re -stocked it. Now I need to make sure I properly label everything with dates and what it is----so I don't waste so much. Need to set up the rotation now to use the meat in a timely fashion'

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

If I had no meat in my freezer I'd have a panic attack. 

I have threatened to empty mine down to nothing in the past, but I get part way, and I freak. 

I even joined a facebook group late last year about pantry challenges and no spend. They were a tough bunch, so much so, I had to leave the group, as I just wasn't on the same page. So many of them last fall were all about using up every bit of food in the home (freezers especially) before they bought another thing. It was like a super self challenge for them to see just how long they could go without spending a dime.

Now I'm not bashing them. It's actually valid and smart in a number of ways, but the preparedness part of me just couldn't get on board with it. 

I'm betting that when Covid hit, many of them were very regretful of their timing. 

@Sooner 

Honored Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I'm still looking  for a freezer, no luck on line or even in the stores. If anyone has purchased a freezer recently let me know where you found it. I want the smallest one (2 of us) Plenty of fridges but no freezers. 

@sissel 

I've seen them regularly at my local Sam's Club. Never available online, but I've purchased two, and seen at least a half a dozen others in our local club. Nice small 5 cubic foot size. 

I called about a dozen stores locally and nothing. But I just kept going into Sam's to stock up, a couple of times a week, and they were there. Hit and miss but they were there.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio I don't think not having a reasonable food supply is rational or sensible in any way.  Especially if you have people living with you.

So count me on the other side!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SoonerSmiley Surprised Me Too!!! I would not be able to sleep without plenty in the freezer.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Right before all this happened our little chest freezer died with about $300 worth of protein that had to be thrown away. 

Then this happened and it's taken almost the entire quarantine to get back to where it was because of shortages.

@CelticCrafter You might check with your insurance company. When my freezer died after a hurricane and the agent came out to look at the roof,I said I am more upset about losing the contents of my freezer because I had stocked it full for winter. He said, Oh we cover that. He gave me $700. to replace the food and also gave me almost enough to replace the freezer which did not come on after 18 days without power.

Honored Contributor

@sissel Try Amazon.  That's where we had to get our replacement when it died at the end of February.

Ours is an Emerson, like 3.5 cubic feet and it was $199. - no shipping.

Regular Contributor

You are too funny!  I don't know how big your freezer is, but good for you!!!  I'm a country girl at heart.  I get all fresh veggies during the summer from various organic farms and blanch them and freeze them for the winter:  corn, broccoli, eggplant, caulflower, peppers,, green and yellow squash, acorn squash, butternut squash, etc.  I never buy veggies from the big chains.  Just don't leave your freezer empty for too long.  I only use a pressure cooker to blanch my veggies then I let them cool,and use LNL containers.

Respected Contributor

@Whitney400 wrote:

You are too funny!  I don't know how big your freezer is, but good for you!!!  I'm a country girl at heart.  I get all fresh veggies during the summer from various organic farms and blanch them and freeze them for the winter:  corn, broccoli, eggplant, caulflower, peppers,, green and yellow squash, acorn squash, butternut squash, etc.  I never buy veggies from the big chains.  Just don't leave your freezer empty for too long.  I only use a pressure cooker to blanch my veggies then I let them cool,and use LNL containers.

@Whitney400 How are you processing the eggplant?

Regular Contributor

I make a really mean ratatouille and freeze it. I got the recipe from a cook book by Pol Martin, a canadian chef.  It freezes well and this is the only dish I can make with eggplant.