Honored Contributor

Re: Wegmans chosen as best business in America

On 2/6/2015 terrier3 said:
On 2/6/2015 ValuSkr said:

If you're lucky, TWC and Comcast will merge.

They ARE merging!!!

It's still under review by the FCC. Last I heard, Bloomberg said the deal was doomed. I hope that's true. I thought it interesting, if unsurprising, that the Telecom Industry finished last in the Harris reputation poll.

They believe the new congress will approve the merger....the old bunch in the Senate were against it. Comcast will have too much power over internet access (which is more important now than cable.)

No surprises. Look for more and more protect our position from this Congress and its rich backers. But that's what the people voted for. They should be cheering the results.

Esteemed Contributor

Treat 'em like mushrooms, but let 'em have guns.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

My local Wegmans is near two colleges. The kids can use their board cards at Wegmans, so when school is in session we have a fantastic selection of pre-cooked meals.

We even have live bands in the Cafe area on Friday nights!

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 millieshops said:

If you're lucky, TWC and Comcast will merge.

They ARE merging!!!

It's still under review by the FCC. Last I heard, Bloomberg said the deal was doomed. I hope that's true. I thought it interesting, if unsurprising, that the Telecom Industry finished last in the Harris reputation poll.

They believe the new congress will approve the merger....the old bunch in the Senate were against it. Comcast will have too much power over internet access (which is more important now than cable.)

No surprises. Look for more and more protect our position from this Congress and its rich backers. But that's what the people voted for. They should be cheering the results.

Exactly right. Money talks and the middle class will pay.

Regular Contributor

Since moving to Tennessee the only thing I have missed more than my family is Wegmans. Love it. Make a pilgrimage each time I go back home. They are also highly ranked as one of the best companies to work for. They care about their employees. I remember being told about an employee who had kidney failure and was on peritoneal dialysis. When she told Danny Wegman she might need to quit her job in order to perform her exchanges, he actually built her a private room to use for her needs as well as to store her supplies. Reasonable accomodation and then some. And don't forget millions of dollars in scholarships plus they employ the students.

Honored Contributor

I just don't know how they can say they are #1 in America, since They Are Not all over America! I have never been to one nor ever heard of it till these forums! Publix is #1 in our part of the country (south)!

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 ginirn said:

Since moving to Tennessee the only thing I have missed more than my family is Wegmans. Love it. Make a pilgrimage each time I go back home. They are also highly ranked as one of the best companies to work for. They care about their employees. I remember being told about an employee who had kidney failure and was on peritoneal dialysis. When she told Danny Wegman she might need to quit her job in order to perform her exchanges, he actually built her a private room to use for her needs as well as to store her supplies. Reasonable accomodation and then some. And don't forget millions of dollars in scholarships plus they employ the students.

Wegmans is a privately held company. They have always said it is so they don't have to answer to stockholders and can look at the big picture and spend money they feel will make for a better shopping experience.

Honored Contributor

What criteria? I understand Wegman's is good for shoppers and employees and I think that's true for at least some of the rest on the list, but I really don't know about all 10.

Trusted Contributor

We have fabulous supermarkets in the UK so when I moved to Rochester, NY I just assumed that Wegmans was a regular, average American supermarket. It wasn't until I travelled around America that I realized how fabulous they were. I just got back from shopping there this morning. They just get better and better and really listen to their customers needs. I am hoping that soon they will start home deliveries like the markets in the UK. Especially for the elderly, young Moms, the disabled etc as we have such awful winters here and it would be such a wonderful service for so many.
Honored Contributor

My daughter worked in the Pharmacy at Wegman's during high school and all through college during the summer and breaks. They always took her back when she returned from college.

She was a blessed recipient of one of their scholarships. A great company to work for.

When I retire from this job...I am going to work there! In the bakery I hope! LOL