Honored Contributor

Re: We have talked ""tea"" recently! Now let's talk TEAPOTS!

On 1/16/2015 colliegirls said:

Courtly Check Enamel Tea Kettle - 3 QuartI wanted this MacKenzie Childs teapot for ages!! I bought it and loved it until the connectors started to rust as I used it. No reason for that to happen at this price. Now I just look at it and use a less expensive tea kettle for boiling water!

I forgot about my MacKenzie Childs tea kettle. In addition to the teapots I mentioned above I also have the MacKenzie Childs Flower Market tea kettle. I've never used it though. I just keep it sitting my stove.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I love teapots but had to really slow down collecting. I just have too many of them to even display. My favorite one to use is a very pretty blue and white one from Williams Sonoma with the built in but removable tea infuser. Most of them are china pots and are pretty much 'for looks' though they're functional, but this, though porcelain, is heavier duty... Among my other favorite is a very elegant but dainty pot from Russia, also blue and white with gold accents... As for my tea kettle, let me duck and weave as I say the one I currently use is a powder blue spatterware kettle from Paula Dean.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I brew it by the cup. I have a few tea pots in porcelain and silver, but never use them. I just brew it one cup at a time since I'm the only one that drinks it. Right now I'm trying to decrease my coffee and increase my herbal teas, dandelion and nettle for detoxing my liver, kidneys and just cleaning out. I also drink a green tea. I have to get better at drinking at work since I get busy and end up forgetting to eat and drink plenty of water/tea. My orderly has to remind me to take a break. That is what tea is for.

Trusted Contributor

This is making me so sad. {#emotions_dlg.sad} In my effort to purge excess "stuff" in 2015, I just hauled my teapot collection (I did keep one) off to the Goodwill. I now have donator's remorse! I sure hope this does not slow me down purging in other areas. My worst enemy in purging things is the thought that I might regret getting rid of it, so I'd better keep it.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

Just think of it as spreading the love for some other fortunate soul to find their own tea pot for their pretty little table.

Respected Contributor

On 1/16/2015 Havarti said:

This is making me so sad. {#emotions_dlg.sad} In my effort to purge excess "stuff" in 2015, I just hauled my teapot collection (I did keep one) off to the Goodwill. I now have donator's remorse! I sure hope this does not slow me down purging in other areas. My worst enemy in purging things is the thought that I might regret getting rid of it, so I'd better keep it.

{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Valued Contributor

On 1/16/2015 kushii said:

DH and I drink tea every morning. We have the Breville tea kettle, K125537, purchased from the Q...love it! We actually purchase tea bags from Amazon. We do not have the room to house another thing. Besides, my DH and I drink different kinds of teas. He enjoys oolong, and Irish Breakfast (black) teas. I enjoy different green teas, different black teas, herbals. We fill our bags up with our tea, fold and close with a skewer. We also have large thermos' purchased from Amazon also!

I buy American Classic Tea and other teas from the Charleston Tea Plantation, the only tea grown in America. I buy Island Mint Green, Charleston Breakfast, Earl Grey.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Respected Contributor

I have a Johnson Bros teapot (Friendly Village) for tea with friends but for me, I either use a glass teapot or simply make tea in a combo tea-coffee maker. (It brews into a strainer in the carafe, very good tea. Keeps it hot, too.) I used to use a Turkish teapot (stainless steel.) You would make up strong tea in the pot and a lower water boiling bigger pot had hot water for diluting the tea (the idea of a Russian samovar, in fact, where they got the idea.) Only, I can't get good Turkish tea in the US, only mediocre tea, so we switched to Earl Grey.

Super Contributor

On 1/16/2015 colliegirls said:

Courtly Check Enamel Tea Kettle - 3 QuartI wanted this MacKenzie Childs teapot for ages!! I bought it and loved it until the connectors started to rust as I used it. No reason for that to happen at this price. Now I just look at it and use a less expensive tea kettle for boiling water!

I have also wanted that tea kettle for quite some time but haven't treated myself. It's unfortunate to hear that it is more fashionable than functional, at that price the quality should be better. Guess I'll stick with my boring stainless tea kettle for now.

Super Contributor

On 1/16/2015 DiamondGirly said:
On 1/16/2015 Madisson said:
On 1/15/2015 NickNack said:

I have a cast iron teapot, a Yixing individual teapot shaped like a mouse, and a little green teapot with a metal top and infuser. I also have a Perfectea maker from Teavana. All of these have infusers for my loose leaf tea. I have a ceramic teapot by Chantal with an infuser, too. I have an old brown betty teapot that was my grandmother's. This is all I can think of, but I do use them all. I love good black tea.

That really sounds interesting. Can you post a picture of it? I've never seen a cast iron teapot. I have a cast iron tea kettle that was my great grandfathers. I absolutely love it. It is so extremely heavy though, I can't imagine actually having to use it. I use it as a decorative piece.

I have quite a collection of teapots. I use teabags rather than loose tea. Many of my teapots are Pfaltzgraff. I have several Tea Rose pattern teapots, a Naturewood one, a Belleek Shamrock teapot, and several others. I've had several dinnerware sets of Pfaltzgraff over the years, and I pass them on to my daughters when I decide to change my pattern. I don't give them the teapots though as they are part of my collection. My daughters just microwave their tea in a mug anyway.

What a fun thread!

**In reviews from the below link, many wrote that you are NOT to use the cast iron tea pot to boil water - only to steep the tea...interesting!

I found cast iron teapots here (I just HAD to look...ha!). After seeing them, I believe my grandmother had one long ago!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cast+iron+teapot&rh=i...

Oh, I get it now! Those really little cast iron tea kettles are actually teapots. I'll have to add one to my collection!

I think the reason you do not use the little cast iron teapot to boil water is not due to any danger of toxicity, but rather that it is intended to be used as a teapot instead of a tea kettle. Actually, now that I read some of the descriptions, they state that the interior is lined with porcelain to prevent rust. Guess you would not want to boil water in those! I do see that some of them are solid cast iron and supposedly retain the heat better.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion