Honored Contributor

Re: We Need A Little Somethin'

@RedTop

I'm not concerned about moving to a rural place. My husband was born in Pittsburgh and moved to NYC at 5 years old.  He wouldn't last a week in a rural place.

I saw a piece on PBS last month about the problems facing the schools in some of the WV areas, due to opiate addiction that affects so many of the parents.  It's not unique to WV, but they highlighted that area, Jackson County if I recall correctly, because the problem is so widespread there. 90% of the children are from poverty stricken families, so the school provides whatever is necessary - food, clothes, hugs.  I told DH I want to move there when I retire so I can volunteer at the schools.  That's what got us started on the idea of building on his land.

This is the link to the news story if anyone is interested.

You are very lucky to live so close to family.  It sounds like you have a lovely life there.  Good for you.  We love our lives here in CA but do regret leaving our relatives from NY.  

OP, I'm sorry if you feel I've hijacked your thread - something about the fried apples and baloney sandwiches sent me off on a tangent.  I've read all the responses on this thread and have enjoyed it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

Sliced cucumber with a bit of plain yogurt, or sour cream or mayo

with fresh chopped dill, salt and pepper (sometimes very thin sliced onion added).  Sliced beets (drained), a few pinches of dried oregano, basil, s&p, diced onion, garlic powder, onion powder, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  Let it marinate in fridge or counter for 30 mins.

Also, french cut green beans (drained) with same ingredients as sliced beets.  My son and I as well as guests have enjoyed these side dishes.

@AKgirl2Have you tried the frozen French green beans.  Recipes taste so fresh with them.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Poodlepet2 wrote:

ECBG, boy am I strolling down memory lane! My mom used to take canned pears and put them on a leaf of iceberg lettuce and put a dollop of mayo topped off with grated sharp cheddar. I loved it and was thinking about it the other day.

I adore salad and usually have a huge salad for lunch.....but only when it's warm (80's)

Call me crazy, but I don't want salad when it's cooler or cold....I always have green veggies-including cauliflower in the freezer.  I steam them, spritz evoo and Mrs. Dash.  Beans are another thing I always have (I love them: name a variety and I bet I have it!)

I always have rice on hand, and potatoes.

Stay warm,

Poodlepet2

@Poodlepet2DH is always happy with pears or pineapple on THE leaf with shredded cheddar.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@RedTop

My husband's family is from your neck of the woods, if I remember correctly.  They are originally from Fort Gay, WV, some of them are still there, and then they moved to Louisa, KY and eventually Ashland.  I'm sure my MIL served some foods with which you'd be familiar.  One of his favorites, as a child, was a fried baloney sandwich.  Have you ever had one?

@house_cat,Oh yes.  DH will do that occassionally.  I have the kitchen door open the fan on and candles burning.  He also does banana, peanutbutter and mayo.  I just go out on the deck or shoo him to the workbench to eat that!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@RedTop

I'm not concerned about moving to a rural place. My husband was born in Pittsburgh and moved to NYC at 5 years old.  He wouldn't last a week in a rural place.

I saw a piece on PBS last month about the problems facing the schools in some of the WV areas, due to opiate addiction that affects so many of the parents.  It's not unique to WV, but they highlighted that area, Jackson County if I recall correctly, because the problem is so widespread there. 90% of the children are from poverty stricken families, so the school provides whatever is necessary - food, clothes, hugs.  I told DH I want to move there when I retire so I can volunteer at the schools.  That's what got us started on the idea of building on his land.

This is the link to the news story if anyone is interested.

You are very lucky to live so close to family.  It sounds like you have a lovely life there.  Good for you.  We love our lives here in CA but do regret leaving our relatives from NY.  

OP, I'm sorry if you feel I've hijacked your thread - something about the fried apples and baloney sandwiches sent me off on a tangent.  I've read all the responses on this thread and have enjoyed it.

@house_catYou're fine Karen.  You might be interested in knowing that Allenstand, (what became the) Folk Art Center was created at the turn of the century by a little woman who was a teacher who wanted to help bring prosperity to the people of Applachia.  She got the crafters to make their beautiful carvings, pottery, corn shuck dolls, and she set up a little shop and sold them  Today the guild covers nine states and had over 400 juried artists.  The work is breathtaking!  I think you'll kike the fiddle player on their page now!~

https://www.facebook.com/folkartcenter/?fref=ts

Image result for folk art center asheville