Honored Contributor

Re: We Had Our 1st Strawberry Shortcake............

I can't eat wheat, so no strawberry shortcake for me.  I made a strawberry pie last weekend with a gluten free cookie crust. It was delicious.

I love fresh strawberries when they are in season. Yumm.

Super Contributor

The other day, I made a strawberry upside down cake.  It is delicious, and tastes pretty much like shortcake, but in a different form.  Strawberry shortcake is one of my favorite summer desserts!

Honored Contributor

I can make keto biscuits if I want them, but I usually just go straight for the strawberries - not too many, though.  Sometimes I'll add fresh whipped cream.  I buy strawberries every trip to Aldi, they're always red, juicy, and flavorful. Strawberries have just started being sold from a local produce stand. $25/bucket.  Talk about highway robbery!

Valued Contributor

I LOVE strawberry shortcake ...  I also use the PILLSBURY biscuits, but press them in some sugar before baking.  They turn out as good as they serve them at the California Pizza Kitchen which I think are fabulous !! 

Honored Contributor

Not a fan of traditional strawberry shortcake, as I do not eat any type of berry.

However, I love the fruit flavor from berries, and pour the juice from macerated strawberries onto the dessert cups and add Cool Whip.   

Frequent Contributor

I love Strawberry Shortcake. But in the Ozarks where I live we use pie crust.

Esteemed Contributor

There's a sandwich/ice cream place close to me that has strawberry shortcake and they make their cake part from scratch.  Everybody raves about it.  I got one a few weeks ago for my lunch.  It was soooo good but that will do me for another year.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Thanks for reminding me.

My Mom insisted that we eat balanced and nutritious meals. We weren't allowed to eat spaghetti (empty calories) and if we wanted a sweet, we got fruit. 

BUT during strawberry season, we would just have strawberry shortcake for dinner. We had a farmer come to our house every Wednesday. He brought meats, vegetables and fruit. And during strawberry season fresh ripe strawberries.

It was such a treat to eat. The shortcake was more like a biscuit. I am so sorry I don't have the recipe for the shortcake. I would love to make it.

When my son was a little guy, we would go to a local farm and pick our own strawberries. I canned tons of strawberry jam. The local season is short so we would have to jump on picking the strawberries.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

LOVE strawberry shortcake, on cake or dessert cups,-I don't make it with biscuits.

Regular Contributor

We've been having strawberry shortcake all week.Yum, really look forward to our Michigan strawberries every season...which is especially short this year...and expensive $5.00 per quart..if I may ask, how much have you been paying this yr?

But you know what...I'm worth it..lol 🍓 so are you!