Esteemed Contributor

We Finally Made Strawberry Shortcake.

Up until this week the strawberries have not been great.  We have been getting groceries at smaller stores closer to home. When DD went to Wegmans (1st time since March) they had beautiful berries.

Last night she declared, "if you prep the berries, I'll make the shortcake biscuits."

It really hit the spot and the berries needed very little sugar.

Strawberry shortcake, yeah or nay?

PS. They had good looking blueberries so she got a small container.  I just took a blueberry coffee cake out of the oven.  I got crazy and threw in a teaspoon of Penzeys orange peel.  Never used it before so we shall see,  It smells great.

Will share with the wonderful lady down the road.

Honored Contributor

Re: We Finally Made Strawberry Shortcake.

We had strawberry shortcake yesterday, I made biscuits and it was delicious !🍓🍓🍓

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

TEAM WORK!!  The Shortcake Biscuits are SO much better than the sponge cake cups!

I grew up with the Sponge cups and they were good but then I discovered Baking and WHO KNEW there was an actual ShortCake buiscuit!

Have to be careful though, If you don't ear mark them for Dessert they'll be Gone in No time!

Please Let us know how the orange works with the blueberry cake! It sounds delish!

Honored Contributor

Love strawberry short cake or Blueberry/Strawberry short cake.

I usually do a one layer vanilla cake while I make the whipped cream.

Honored Contributor

I usually forego the "shortcake" part of this wonderful summer treat and just enjoy a dish of strawberries with a dollop of whipped cream on top:

1 lb sliced strawberries

2 tbsp sugar

1 tsp lemon juice

Stir berries with sugar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in bowl.  Let sit for 2 hours.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Yum. I'll try the biscuits - just regular biscuits? Hubs likes cornbread with his sliced strawberries since we tried that at a Cave Creek, AZ food fair. I like to mix a teaspoon of strawberry jam into fruit instead of sugar. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake   We just use the shortcake recipe on the Bisquick box.  If you don't want to use Bisquick I'm sure there are a ton of shortcake recipes online.

I don't even roll them out, just drop and bake.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up, we always made Bisquick drop biscuits with some sugar added for shortcakes, so that's all I have ever made, too.

Honored Contributor

I just bought my second two lb box of Driscoll strawberries; they are so sweet they need nothing at all. I use some whipped cream on them but no biscuits or cake right now....trying to avoid the "quarantine fifteen"
Honored Contributor

you can also use a Sara Lee pound cake or an angel food cake if you aren't into baking. Too hot here in the summer to turn on the oven so I sometimes fall back on those. The sponge cake cups at the store are just too blah and yuk for me.