Valued Contributor

Went shopping in our 1 and only supermarket..I try to buy what's on sale and I write the circular's price on my list.

The meat I bought was marked  and rang up $6.99 lb. the price was supposed to be $6.49 lb on sale..

The tuna that I bought was supposed to be 2/$1.99..they rang up 2/$2.49..I had 6 cans..detergent rang up 40 cents a bottle more than the sale..I had 3 bottles.

I didn't check until I got home!..I can only imagine how annoyed they will be when I go back next week with the circular and paperwork.

Little things add up to be a lot.

Respected Contributor

Re: Watch that cash register!!

@Jo1313 I feel badly for the person that has to be annoyed, but people have to do their job.

If prices aren't matching it's because someone down the line isn't doing their job.

And it is the people UP the line that don't have to bother with it that are causing all of this.

I understand that companies are in business to make money. But, companies have taken huge advantage of these excuses from Covid. Not enough workers. Not enough supplies.

They want to cut down on expenses by having less employees, & forcing the employees that they have to do multiple jobs, & by forcing us to scan & bag our own purchases!

So the manager of the store that is trying to do all of the things needed to run the store end up not being able to get all of the jobs done correctly.

Esteemed Contributor

On the last day of our short vacay in Arizona, we were headed toward the airport.  We stopped for 2 drinks and I bought two postcards.    It rang up to over $13.  We paid without thinking about it and headed to the car.  In the car I looked at the receipt and there were things on there that we did not buy.  We went back in and got like $6.00 back.  I don't remember the exact numbers.  But the clerk complained that somehow the register does not clear out the last transaction, so we were charged for that person's items too.  I wonder how many other people got ripped off.

I frequently tell my boys to check their receipts, though I doubt they do.  All kinds of mistakes can be made.  Why does it seem so hard to get some people to pay attention?  I have one son who is especially bad in that area.  In our case, I should have caught it sooner.  I try to figure out about what I should be charged, if it is just a few items, before I even get to the register.  Good on the OP for checking her receipt.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I get so frustrated when this happens.  I try to watch at the register but they always seem to be rushing.  Today, every penny counts!

Honored Contributor

@Jo1313    They may pull a Wal-Mart on you and tell you,  "Sorry but prices are changing fast and we can't hire the staff to change the shelf price.  The register has the correct price."

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

Went shopping in our 1 and only supermarket..I try to buy what's on sale and I write the circular's price on my list.

The meat I bought was marked  and rang up $6.99 lb. the price was supposed to be $6.49 lb on sale..

The tuna that I bought was supposed to be 2/$1.99..they rang up 2/$2.49..I had 6 cans..detergent rang up 40 cents a bottle more than the sale..I had 3 bottles.

I didn't check until I got home!..I can only imagine how annoyed they will be when I go back next week with the circular and paperwork.

Little things add up to be a lot.

@Jo1313  I always check my receipt before I leave the parking lot. Ckatch a lot of over rings and mistakes

Honored Contributor

Our local Walgreen's has pretty much given up even putting prices on the shelves so we pretty much need to  know the price of an item ahead of time and ask the clerk to do a price check before ringing it up.  Unfortunately, it also does not have price check machines.

Super Contributor

Frequently I will take a picture of the price and description of the item. That way I don't have to wait for an employee to go back and check the price.

Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

On the last day of our short vacay in Arizona, we were headed toward the airport.  We stopped for 2 drinks and I bought two postcards.    It rang up to over $13.  We paid without thinking about it and headed to the car.  In the car I looked at the receipt and there were things on there that we did not buy.  We went back in and got like $6.00 back.  I don't remember the exact numbers.  But the clerk complained that somehow the register does not clear out the last transaction, so we were charged for that person's items too.  I wonder how many other people got ripped off.

I frequently tell my boys to check their receipts, though I doubt they do.  All kinds of mistakes can be made.  Why does it seem so hard to get some people to pay attention?  I have one son who is especially bad in that area.  In our case, I should have caught it sooner.  I try to figure out about what I should be charged, if it is just a few items, before I even get to the register.  Good on the OP for checking her receipt.

In this case I would be suspicious of the clerk.  He might be pocketing the differenced and rigging the machine.  I say this because my credit card was "borrowed" and the clerk at the Maverik store charged $900 on it.  Now what does one buy at a quick stop for that amount?

Respected Contributor

That's been happening a lot here in North Carolina.  Stores have been getting fined.