Respected Contributor

Re: Washing kitchen linens...❓❓❓

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@house_cat  We have a separate small hamper in the laundry room that holds kitchen towels and dishcloths until they get laundered. They getted washed alone, no bath towels.

DD and I seem to accumulate enough for a load quickly. We change kitchen towels daily and always have 2 or 3 a day.  Same with microfiber cloths. I grab one instead of a paper towel most times.

DD and I both have a "thing" about kitchen towels and buy them too much. DD will come home with some and annouce, "I saw these and thought they were cute,pretty, etc". 

We must have at least 40, we need a 12 step program.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

Same, I need a 12 step program too, obsessed with kitchen towels. Now those fluffy puppy fur microfiber ones take up a lot of room and are crowding out the cotton designed ones I need to stop ha. 

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

So do all of you who are bleaching your kitchen towels only use white towels?  My kitchen towels have pretty colors and patterns that I don't want to ruin with bleach.  Same with the microfiber ones - they're all bright colors and I want them to stay that way.  So all of our kitchen linens are washed separately in hot water, but no bleach.  No bleach for my bathroom linens, either. 

@shoesnbags No.  Most of our towels are Williams-Sonoma and we use a reasonable amount of bleach.  They get a little faded, but they are for use, not decoration so it isn't a problem.

We use newer ones when we have company and a special meal, then they go in rotation at some point.  But they aren't for display, so clean is the goal here. And if you are in the kitchen, I don't worry about what the towels look like if obviously clean and fresh. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wash my kitchen towels & pot holders separately  & never mix them in with bath towels .... I feel better doing it that way 🙃

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wash all the kitchen towels & dish cloths separately , usually need a  whitening product to clean up the food stains.

I wash all my microfiber cleaning cloths separately as they are the worst for grabbing lint off other cloth items. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the reply, @Sooner .  I always find the different ways we all do things so interesting.  Probably my favorite thing about these forums.😊

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@rockygems123   I got a set of the washcloth size microfiber cloths from QVC months ago. Well, I like them so much I got 2 more sets.  There were I think 25 in a set.

I gave some to my sister and to my son, but still have a ton.  I never had the puppyfur.

I have a jelly cabinet that is probably 4'x51/2', it has 4 generous shelves. Outside of 1 shelf that holds my LocknLock overflow, it is nothing but kitchen linens.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I loved your response! Sign me up for that 12 step program - I'm a kitchen towel junkie, for sure.  After years of bringing me useless things from his business and other trips, my husband finally realized that the gift I most love is kitchen or hand towels and they're luggage-friendly.

I go through at least one each day, but they're rather small, so accumulating a full load would still take a while.  In this house, I don't have a separate laundry room, but in my next house I will have one and I plan to do what you're doing and have a separate hamper for kitchen things.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Ha!! Lynnie61...I do the same thing with kitchen towels and Kohls...and now we get $5. Kohls cash every time we do curbside pick up.. Don't feel like I have to keep them forever when I get them at bargain price..

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat   The little hamper for kitchen linens is in the laundry room between the washer and dryer. The "regular" hamper is in the bathrrom closet/

My daughter got  it at IKEA for about $7.  It's just a wire frame with a heavier gauge plastic that goes in the  frame.

Respected Contributor

I wash kitchen linens seperately.