Respected Contributor

Re: Was this worth an hour of my life?

[ Edited ]

Looks good BUT...

I noted before....Try Spray Oven Cleaner, like Easy Off.

Your oven is likely enameled metal, and you can safely use spray oven cleaner on it, so I can't see why it won't work. Le Creuset's own instruction manual is silent on this. They want you to use thier iteration of Barkeepers Friend ....

Read the oven cleaner label and make sure it doesn't specifically say DON'T use on enamel.

I would try it on a small spot on the bottom of that pan, outdoors or in my garage. Use a soft cloth to wipe off.

I will try this on my own Le Creuset if it ever gets that stained, and report back!

Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen 

Do you just spray it on, let it sit and wipe it off?

Is there any heating involved?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat 

I'm surprised at your poor experience with Magic Erasers.

I have a package of  different sizes, and I cut the larger ones into smaller pieces, so I get more use out of them.  Honestly, I can't believe how well they work on burned on, sticky cookware and casserole dishes. where other types of "nonscratching" scrubbers fail me.

Fine print on the packaging lists a number of surfaces where use is not recommended and only gentle pressure is advised, because apparently they are tough enough to ruin some surfaces.  

Not sure about those warnings, though, because if taken seriously, I can't think of what surfaces are OK for using them.

Congrats on getting all that dirty stuff off. That took some work, girl ! !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  The Ringer. amazon has this, removes stuck on food, the clay removes burned on.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@noodleann 

I've never notice the Dawn Power Dissolver in the store.  I'll have to check for it next time. I did look at the oven sprays, but the directions confused me.  Is there one that can simply be sprayed on and then wiped off, without heating the pot?

@house_cat , I don't know if they still make the version sold for in-home use, but a commercial version of the power dissolver is available on Amazon. Having an ancient store of  cleaning products myself, I have the original in the blue bottle.

There are spray-on oven cleaners formulated for use in cold ovens, or there were. I'd only use a product like this on the outside of the pot, not the inside. I really hate baked-on stuff on  my pots and pans, so I didn't have to deal with this until problem I was helping clear out a relative's house and found most of her utensils had that amber-black stuff on them. I had only Brillo at the house, so I used Brillo and very hot water after an ammonia soak. There was much bad language throughout.

I sympathize with your hour-long ordeal with Barkeeper's Friend and  congrats on the excellent results. Glad that my Le Creuset is very old and there's a black matte finish on many of my pot and pan bottoms. I'm sure it hides a multitude of sins.

Respected Contributor

My DH a neat nick too. He will never live down being so proud to clean my lovely nonstick round cookie cake pan. Not a lick of nonstick left.
Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

my scrubbing days are over. LOL

I would rather scrub a pot any day than have to cook something in the pot.  I would LOVE to say my cooking days are over.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom wrote:
My DH a neat nick too. He will never live down being so proud to clean my lovely nonstick round cookie cake pan. Not a lick of nonstick left.

🤣 

~ house cat ~
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Your pan looks great but there is no way I would scrub a pan for an hour.  After 10 minutes I would have given up.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

Your pan looks great but there is no way I would scrub a pan for an hour.  After 10 minutes I would have given up.

@mimomof4  I’m not sure I would even last 10 minutes. I’m not that concerned about the bottom of the pan as long as it had been washed.