Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart's new plastic bags

Bless their heart ! Probably only thing they had to look forward to.

When they got home you can bet they both put away stuff in precise order and took a nap.

I would had went to self checkout

Valued Contributor

Not at my Walmart.  The other day I went and did self checkout.  Put a bottle of juice in the bag (1 item) when I picked it up it went straight through the bottom.  I picked it up and carried it out!

Esteemed Contributor

Still the same white plastic bags. Everytime I go to Publix, Walmart or Kroger, I buy two reusable bags 99 cents each and it's so much easier. Don't know what I'll do with all those bags.

I prefer self check out because I prefer not to have someone else touching my items. Don't know how many hands already did, but I avoid it at the end.

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

here in Oregon, we've had those thicker plastic bags for almost a year. (since the ban on plastic bags) trying to encourage bringing of your own bags. they were charging between 5 and 10 cents for them.  

then covid hit, and no more bringing your own bags. some stores have a thin brown paper bag for no charge, and now, most places will let you bring your own bags again

As of January 1 my state instituted a ban on single use plastic bags so stores have replaced them with these thicker supposedly multi-use bags.  I have had several of them rip and I don't know what I would be re-using them for.  So from my perspective they are no more environmentally friendly than single use bags.  I have my own reusable bags bu there are times when I forget to bring them with me especially when I make an inpromptu stop a store. 

Honored Contributor

We have been using our own bags the whole time.  Last WM trip they still had the cheap plastic ones.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl  I have not shopped Walmart for food recently, but I have seen similar bags with similar messages and I do use them.  Even in NY where the employees could not pack bags you brought with you, you could pack your own.  That was true at least from June through December when I was there.

i have used similar bags repeatedly for 2 or 3 years although never for 125 times.  They are strong enough for most groceries that I can carry and they are simple to wash.

Respected Contributor

My state/locality hasn't banned single-use bags, and as of a couple of days ago, Walmart's checkers were using the regular grey ones.

Perhaps they're using the reusable bags in areas that have banned single-use bags, or in the self-service areas, to encourage reuse. Checkers still will not handle customer-provided bags in most places, but you can use your own if you check yourself out.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

My state/locality hasn't banned single-use bags, and as of a couple of days ago, Walmart's checkers were using the regular grey ones.

Perhaps they're using the reusable bags in areas that have banned single-use bags, or in the self-service areas, to encourage reuse. Checkers still will not handle customer-provided bags in most places, but you can use your own if you check yourself out.

These are the bags we use. They clip to the sides of the cart and are so easy to use. They also make green ones but are not insulated. on ebay

INSULATED GRAB BAG REUSABLE CLIP-TO-CART SHOPPING BAG