Respected Contributor

Re: Walmart's new plastic bags

Same old thin gray bags at my Walmart.  Will be on the lookout for the new ones. 

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

Have not seen the new bags at Walmart. Some states are banning plastic bags. Maybe you are getting durable bags before bags are banned?

Yesterday at the grocery store an older couple was in front of us checking out. They brought their own bags. So that meant they had to bag all their items themselves. It took forever for them to pack their items into their bags. The people behind us finally took their items off the belt and went to another cashier.

@drizzellla  This is so true about slowing things down. Most of these bags from home will not stand on their own so you are fighting to put your items inside. 

Plus , they had to discuss with each other what bag they wanted every item to go in. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

"Plus , they had to discuss with each other what bag they wanted every item to go in."

@drizzellla -

Ok I'm laughing though it probably was not making you laugh at checkout!

But I can just see this.

It is so frustrating and endearing at the same time. Precious older people. I can see my mother doing this who we have to sit down and go through every single line before we leave the store. Which actually is probably a good idea but aside from other depression era people, I don't know anyone else who does this.

and she does bring her own bags.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

We just went shopping to our local Walmart this morning and the new shopping bags that are given at the checkout are heavy duty plastic bags that are meant to be reused.   The printing on the bags say that they can be washed and reused up to 125 times.  

I know with Covid you are not able to bring in your own bags so I don't understand what these bags are suppose to accomplish. Are you suppose to wash them and take them back to the store to be used for your next shopping trip?  At our store the checkers scan the items and then pack them into the shopping bags that are on the rotating rack.  If they're handling the plastic bags why can't you just give them the regular cotton or linen shopping bags?

I guess if you use self-checkout then these bags would work but we prefer to have a checker ring up our order.   I know the main idea was to help eliminate the use of so many plastic bags but these just seem redundant.

It was very early in the morning and I didn't think to ask the clerk why the change in the bags.

Have any of you seen these type of bags in your local Walmart?

I don't see the problem with reusing the bags they gave you.  I wish more stores would do this, especially the grocery stores.

Honored Contributor

Our WM had these heavier grey bags - not sure if they indicated reusable but they were much better than the "thin grey ones".

They had them during the holiday season but since went back to the old thin ones.

I'm not sure if they found they weren't a good deal as I didn't think to re-use them -- I liked them because didn't have to double bag with jars/cans.

Our WM is AGAIN remodeling and adding alot of new items and losing some of the ones I used.  One part of the store is becoming completely organic items.

I rarely shop the Super WM but prefer a smaller "Neighborhood" style which is only 10 minutes away with just food items.

Respected Contributor

Earlier last year our WM had some heavier plastic bags available but they were charging 10 cents apiece for them. I don't think it went over very well because they soon disappeared. For heavy items I always ask the clerk to double bag and they always oblige. I just say please and thank you.

Honored Contributor

We'll never forget going to Santa Fe and they don't give you ANY  bags , period, none at Penney's at the grocery, no place, I mean NO PLACE !

First time in our lives and we're old LOL we saw that.  Crazy place.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

"Plus , they had to discuss with each other what bag they wanted every item to go in."

@drizzellla -

But I can just see this.

It is so frustrating and endearing at the same time. Precious older people. I can see my mother doing this who we have to sit down and go through every single line before we leave the store. Which actually is probably a good idea but aside from other depression era people, I don't know anyone else who does this.

These days they were lucky they weren't knocked over the head.

I'd be scard to death to hold up the line. My husband can't take the time before somebody nudges him to end of counter where he can hesitate just long enough  to put his money in wallet.

Respected Contributor

I've been wanting to get to Walmart for some time now.  I will be checking out if they have those new plastic bags.  I have been using my reusable bags for some time now.  At Target, Kroger, Publix, and Walmart (Walmart about 2-3 months ago).  They always bag for me but I don't mind bagging myself.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@drizzellla -

But I can just see this.

These days they were lucky they weren't knocked over the head.

I'd be scard to death to hold up the line. My husband can't take the time before somebody nudges him to end of counter where he can hesitate just long enough  to put his money in wallet.

I thought the guy behind us in line was going to have a stroke. And he came in line quite a bit after us.  I am guessing he was older than my husband and me. 

He ended up going to a different line.

The poor cashier. She ran out of room to put their purchases after she scanned them. She was moving alot faster than they were. So there was a traffic jam of stuff.

I just looked at it as, it must have been an "event" for them. Wonder if they went out to do anything except grocery shop. So if this was their big outing of the week. They were going to do it in an orderly manner.