Regular Contributor

I finally cooked basmati rice in the cooker. It was my 1st time that I ever had the rice. It came out very sticky and clumpy. Is that how everyone else's experience was ?

Super Contributor
On 2/22/2015 Bigbro said:

I finally cooked basmati rice in the cooker. It was my 1st time that I ever had the rice. It came out very sticky and clumpy. Is that how everyone else's experience was ?

So was it true basmati rice? For example, I used to think jasmine rice was basmati rice. Then I found a bag of rice in an American grocery (I usually shop asian) that said "basmati" and it was much thinner and lighter than the jasmine rice I usually buy.

If you like a particular rice and it comes out too sticky and clumpy, just use less water next time. I have a Vietnamese grocer that sells me my Thai jasmine rice. She knows when and where it was harvested and tells me "use 2 tablespoons LESS water" or "use 1 TB MORE with this bag." Sheesh how can they be so exact about it? But, by the freshness of the harvest, a tablespoon can make a big difference.

Did you rinse the rice first until the water was clear? Rice not only can be dirty, but it can have excess starch that should be rinsed away before cooking. Personally I like my rice sticky and clumping, as I eat with chopsticks most of the time, but I wouldn't want STARCHY (unrinsed) rice. - Bird

Regular Contributor
On 2/22/2015 The Bird said:
On 2/22/2015 Bigbro said:

So was it true basmati rice? For example, I used to think jasmine rice was basmati rice. Then I found a bag of rice in an American grocery (I usually shop asian) that said "basmati" and it was much thinner and lighter than the jasmine rice I usually buy.

If you like a particular rice and it comes out too sticky and clumpy, just use less water next time. I have a Vietnamese grocer that sells me my Thai jasmine rice. She knows when and where it was harvested and tells me "use 2 tablespoons LESS water" or "use 1 TB MORE with this bag." Sheesh how can they be so exact about it? But, by the freshness of the harvest, a tablespoon can make a big difference.

Did you rinse the rice first until the water was clear? Rice not only can be dirty, but it can have excess starch that should be rinsed away before cooking. Personally I like my rice sticky and clumping, as I eat with chopsticks most of the time, but I wouldn't want STARCHY (unrinsed) rice. - Bird

Thanks Bird on your expertise. I rinsed the rice in water, but with a small colinder. I put the rice in first as directed and then water up to waterline. I timed it was about 35 min.

But, I did not stir the rice and water. SHOULD I HAVE STIRRED THE RICE AND WATER IN THE LITTLE POT ??

Honored Contributor

I have been sick so I have not tired out the little rice cooker yet. Nothing sounds good so I have not been eating much. I also bought the cookbook. So many recipes in it compared to the little booklet that came with it.

Super Contributor
On 2/22/2015 MissKlynn said:
On 2/21/2015 denisemb said:

I'd recommend getting a pair of some version of the Ove' Gloves. (I bought mine through Sam's Club although I don't see them on the website anymore.)

Love mine - gives you dexterity in handling hot items for a few minutes without all the bulk of potholders and silicone...

Image result for ove gloves

Oh I like this idea! Would also be great for when I eat something straight out of the microwave on my couch lol, instead of holding a towel under the dish. Thanks!

Lol, I thought I was the only one who did the towel under the bowl from a hot microwave dish. I fold a dish towel a few times over and it works pretty well. Yes, a glove like this might work good for that instead.
Super Contributor
I tried it out for the first time this weekend. Only made white rice. This is my first time ever making white rice that wasn't minute rice. I am not a big rice eater, and we eat Chinese every few weeks. I can usually get extra white rice with the Chinese take out to hold me over until I crave rice again. Anyway...I think it went well. Only problem is I don't have a rice washer. My collendar holes were too big, and rice was falling through when I was washing it. Then I put it in a bowl, rinsed, and covered with plate to drain. Did this several times, and each time lost some rice. Anyway, the cooker did it okay. Not exactly like the Chinese take out place. But I think maybe I didn't use the right portion of rice to water. Seriously with all that rice I lost during the washing process I have no idea how much I really ended up with to cook. I probably added too much water for the amount of rice I used. I will keep trying. And dying to have a bit more time to make some of the other things you all have mentioned. Question - what kind of rice washer do you all have?
Super Contributor
On 2/24/2015 Lynnj said: I tried it out for the first time this weekend. Only made white rice. This is my first time ever making white rice that wasn't minute rice. I am not a big rice eater, and we eat Chinese every few weeks. I can usually get extra white rice with the Chinese take out to hold me over until I crave rice again. Anyway...I think it went well. Only problem is I don't have a rice washer. My collendar holes were too big, and rice was falling through when I was washing it. Then I put it in a bowl, rinsed, and covered with plate to drain. Did this several times, and each time lost some rice. Anyway, the cooker did it okay. Not exactly like the Chinese take out place. But I think maybe I didn't use the right portion of rice to water. Seriously with all that rice I lost during the washing process I have no idea how much I really ended up with to cook. I probably added too much water for the amount of rice I used. I will keep trying. And dying to have a bit more time to make some of the other things you all have mentioned. Question - what kind of rice washer do you all have?

Get a metal hand held strainer for a couple bucks.

Super Contributor

nomless & MissKlynn - Thanks for the reply - yes, I did rinse the rice 3 0r 4 times, and I did let it rest about 5 minutes. Next time I will rinse even more & let rest about 10 minutes.

4uthebest - I have one of those metal hand-held strainers & it works great. By the way, my Cuisinart Oven is supposed to arrive today. Our area has been socked in with sleet & ice the last couple of days (yeah, this is Tx.), so we'll see if it gets here on time.

Super Contributor
On 2/24/2015 Txblond said:

nomless & MissKlynn - Thanks for the reply - yes, I did rinse the rice 3 0r 4 times, and I did let it rest about 5 minutes. Next time I will rinse even more & let rest about 10 minutes.

4uthebest - I have one of those metal hand-held strainers & it works great. By the way, my Cuisinart Oven is supposed to arrive today. Our area has been socked in with sleet & ice the last couple of days (yeah, this is Tx.), so we'll see if it gets here on time.

Great.. let me know if you have any questions about the oven operation.

Respected Contributor

Txblond, dang, it sounds like you're doing the prep, etc., correctly. So, now, change the amount of water, I guess.....but I don't know if it should be less water or more water. Don't give up! Keep us posted.