Respected Contributor

I moved from the west to the southeast 3 years ago, closer to family.  This will be my first year hosting Thanksgiving in my new home since we moved because we've gone to our families the past couple of years.  When living in California, I would order a fresh bone in turkey breast from Whole Foods and pick it up a couple of days before Thanksgiving.  So, I went to Whole Foods here to do the same.  I was shocked by the cost.   A fresh bone in turkey breast weighing from anywhere between 12 - 16 pounds was $92.  Just three years ago I paid about $35, most I might have every paid was $40.  Talk about inflation!

Honored Contributor

People have no idea what it costs and takes a farmer to raise poultry that is considered organic. Organic fed and antibiotic free, which I am asumming you are interested in. I agree almost 6 dollars a pound is expensive, but you don't have the waste with a breast you would have with a whole turkey. Where I live I can get an organic whole turkey from ALDI for 2.99 a pound.

Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy  Yikes!!!  I bought a

7+ lb frozen Butterball bone-in turkey breast that cost approx $17 or $2.29/lb.  It's frozen and not organic.  Could that be the difference in cost?

Just curious, did you buy the one at Whole Foods?

Honored Contributor

I don't know where in the southeast you are but recently when I was checking out at our local Jewel supermarket here in Chicago, there was a woman behind me from Florida who was amazed at how "cheap" things are here.  So the big increase may in part be due to location.

Valued Contributor

@ScrapHappy Inflation isn't that extreme.It is probably an amazon thing.

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

People have no idea what it costs and takes a farmer to raise poultry that is considered organic. Organic fed and antibiotic free, which I am asumming you are interested in. I agree almost 6 dollars a pound is expensive, but you don't have the waste with a breast you would have with a whole turkey. Where I live I can get an organic whole turkey from ALDI for 2.99 a pound.

This wasn't organic.  Neither were the others I had gotten in California.  But, you're right, there is no waste.  There's a lot of meat on it.

Respected Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

7+ lb frozen Butterball bone-in turkey breast that cost approx $17 or $2.29/lb.  It's frozen and not organic.  Could that be the difference in cost?

I ordered it but plan on canceling.  I'm having a very difficult time finding a turkey breast.  So far I can only find the store brand at Publix.  I'm going to Walmart tomorrow, but I've looked there in the past and they haven't had any.

Respected Contributor

Re: WHOLE FOODS TURKEY

[ Edited ]

I order my turkey from a large, well known local farm.   I placed my order two weeks ago and am glad I did because their supply of fresh, bone in breasts are now sold out.  I'm not a turkey snob, I just chose to support our local businesses and farmers.

Just though I'd post their prices.   It doesn't seem like the whole turkey itself is that expensive, but rather the costs for added processing.

Fresh Turkeys  $3.19/  #Sizes:  12-14# through 26-28#

SOLD OUT - Fresh Breasts  $5.59/#   Sizes:  4-6# through 10-12#

Boneless (whole) Breasts  $7.19/#    Sizes 2-4# through 6-8#

Boneless Half Breasts  $6.19/#    Sizes:  1-2# through 3-4#

Smoked Turkey  $4.79/#   Sizes:  Small, Med, Large

Smoked Breasts  $6.69/#   Sizes:  Small, Med, Large

Smoked Boneless Breast  $7.39/#  Sizes:  Small, Med Large

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

This one was just in the paper today for $1.29lb.  I don't remember where, but it was one of the regular grocery stores.

$92 is too high for me.

Respected Contributor

Re: WHOLE FOODS TURKEY

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappyI'm sure you have a Walmart in your area.  They have the Butterball bone-in breasts I mentioned in my original post for $2.28/lb.  They aren't organic, but raised antibiotic free.  Think that's what the label says. I got mine at BJ's for $2.29/lb.  @GCR18 mentioned she saw them for $1.29/lb, but she couldn't remember which store.