Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: WHATS COOKING AT YOUR HOUSE THIS APRIL 2019 ?

[ Edited ]

Well yesterday was horrible weather wise but I did manage to get the stuff together for a real, from scratch spaghetti (penne) dinner..... Today I gave the kids there Easter baskets, made sausage, pork butt and meatballs in tomatoes with garlic bread and chocolate cake.......it was delicious but not a typical Easter dinner......nobody likes ham but me !

I have made porchetta.....very labor intensive but delicious. Happy Easter !!

@Pooky1 .......

This has been a difficult time for Anna.....she and her family are in my prayers.....

Honored Contributor

Well, we barely survived the carrot cake, LOL.  It is two layers and has coconut, walnuts, and pineapple in the batter, then after baked, the layers are soaked with a glaze, so that the cake is as moist as can be, then frosted in the middle and all over with butter cream cheese frosting with orange zest, and finely ground walnuts pressed all over the sides, DELICIOUS, but though not tasting rich, the frosting of course is, hard to believe as it is so light tasting, lol.

I was fine, then went back to the kitchen and saw it as I hadn't put it into the frig yet left it for DH, and ate one spoonful, that put me over, went to my recliner and felt green for a few hours, lol.

I would freeze half of the cake if there were room in the freezer, but just having made a Costco run last week, it is full to the brim.

The porchetta was fine, very rich, along with the cheesy scalloped potatoes and roasted zucchini, the saving grace of the meal, lol.  Tonight will be fish and asparagus.

I ate cake for breakfast but heavily sprinkled blueberries over it, and that helped cut the richness in my stomach, told DH to do the same tonight.

Gorgeous weather today, but with heat comes hours of hand watering, try to break it up so I don't have so much on any day.

Sounds as if others here had a great day of eating yummy food.

Respected Contributor

I bought a carrot cake from Omaha but didn't have it for Easter.......still in the freezer but bet it is not as delicious as yours was, @mousiegirl 

Last night for dinner had the pork chops ,we both love, with mashed potatoes and green beans......

I read on another thread that @Winifred went to an oncologist........is she alright that anyone has heard. I am very worried about her health and her lack of energy. She has never said how old she is but that may be another concern......

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

I bought a carrot cake from Omaha but didn't have it for Easter.......still in the freezer but bet it is not as delicious as yours was, @mousiegirl 

Last night for dinner had the pork chops ,we both love, with mashed potatoes and green beans......

I read on another thread that @Winifred went to an oncologist........is she alright that anyone has heard. I am very worried about her health and her lack of energy. She has never said how old she is but that may be another concern......

@Danky   She has had something in her lung(s) for years and doctors didn't know what it was, test after test, though one suspected the worst.  She had another test recently, and the only post I saw was that it wasn't good.  She said she is as old as dirt, lol, and she does use oxygen.

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. after like 4 days of rain its finally bright and sunny and in the 60s.monday ria made in the crockpot hamberger, pasta,, cream of chicken soup and cant remember what else but it was very good and tuesday she made pork cutlets with a sweet glaze over them and broccoli with olive oil garlic salt and pepper backed and carrots with brown sugar salt butter allso very good. last night we ordered chinese food. enough for a few meals. i got eggfoo young ,egg roll. and fried rice and the other meal was sweet and sour chicken, egg roll and fried rice and chicken with brown gravy fried rice and eggroll and  apps  steamed dumplings and crab rangoon. we dont usually have a meal at night but sometimes we feel like having one and latly we have having a meal at n\ight.  we were going to have garden rottotilled this year instead of us killing our backs and do it by hand. anna has a freind that has hers done and she will have him come and give us a quote. and we will split the cost. danky . i havnt gone to omaha steaks in a long time. we use to get coupons from them alot but not in a long time. we were getting a new refrigerator delivered like 5 years ago and i went in omahas with a coupon i think it was for 40 of 50 bucks and you got alot and i got 2 of them deals plus they offered me a few others deals and i bought then to and on my way home ria is going to k\ill me for buying all this meat right before frig is delivered but she was happy with all the meat i had got. shes not a fan of hot dogs and one of the items i got was hotdogs and omahas beef hot dogs she loved. hope everyone has a great night.

Respected Contributor

After having leftovers for two days,tonight it"s burgers and corn on the grill with some salad .Have a great week.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pooky1 wrote:

good evening everyone. after like 4 days of rain its finally bright and sunny and in the 60s.monday ria made in the crockpot hamberger, pasta,, cream of chicken soup and cant remember what else but it was very good and tuesday she made pork cutlets with a sweet glaze over them and broccoli with olive oil garlic salt and pepper backed and carrots with brown sugar salt butter allso very good. last night we ordered chinese food. enough for a few meals. i got eggfoo young ,egg roll. and fried rice and the other meal was sweet and sour chicken, egg roll and fried rice and chicken with brown gravy fried rice and eggroll and  apps  steamed dumplings and crab rangoon. we dont usually have a meal at night but sometimes we feel like having one and latly we have having a meal at n\ight.  we were going to have garden rottotilled this year instead of us killing our backs and do it by hand. anna has a freind that has hers done and she will have him come and give us a quote. and we will split the cost. danky . i havnt gone to omaha steaks in a long time. we use to get coupons from them alot but not in a long time. we were getting a new refrigerator delivered like 5 years ago and i went in omahas with a coupon i think it was for 40 of 50 bucks and you got alot and i got 2 of them deals plus they offered me a few others deals and i bought then to and on my way home ria is going to k\ill me for buying all this meat right before frig is delivered but she was happy with all the meat i had got. shes not a fan of hot dogs and one of the items i got was hotdogs and omahas beef hot dogs she loved. hope everyone has a great night.

@Pooky1 ----you ordered from Chinese almost exactly what I would order. You wouldn't believe the difference between the food between NJ and RI. Since I grew up on the food from Providence, that is my favorite. 

Many years ago, when I worked, Omaha was my place to buy meats...Every thing came packaged for the freezer  and no internet everything ordered by phone. I stopped for a long time since my DH was home to cook. After buying too much and throwing stuff away it made more sense to start again about 6 months ago. Last night I had chicken fried chicken ,cauliflower and a very veggie salad with good seasons dressing......delicious.

PS.....MING GARDENS was the place were we got our Chinese food back in the day. They had the best boneless chicken with veggies and gravy that I have ever had.

Honored Contributor

Spaghetti and leftover rolls for our supper tonight.  Teacher daughter left school thinking about spaghetti, so she was very happy to walk thru the front door and smell garlic!   Trucker daughter will be here before morning, so she will be happy to see leftover spaghetti in the fridge.  

Outside of ham salad, the fridge is pretty bare, as I haven’t cooked much this week.   When home alone, my husband and I are eating more breakfast and lunch, and less for supper. 

I had the MOHS procedure yesterday to remove an early stage skin cancer, so outside of doing basic things, I’ve taken it easy today.   I have soreness and have some bruising, am not in pain or great discomfort.  Very relieved the skin cancer was in an early stage, but I still have a 2” long incision to heal.   Please have all new growths on your skin checked!   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Spaghetti and leftover rolls for our supper tonight.  Teacher daughter left school thinking about spaghetti, so she was very happy to walk thru the front door and smell garlic!   Trucker daughter will be here before morning, so she will be happy to see leftover spaghetti in the fridge.  

Outside of ham salad, the fridge is pretty bare, as I haven’t cooked much this week.   When home alone, my husband and I are eating more breakfast and lunch, and less for supper. 

I had the MOHS procedure yesterday to remove an early stage skin cancer, so outside of doing basic things, I’ve taken it easy today.   I have soreness and have some bruising, am not in pain or great discomfort.  Very relieved the skin cancer was in an early stage, but I still have a 2” long incision to heal.   Please have all new growths on your skin checked!   

@RedTop   Recently during a regular check-up, the doctor noticed a tiny bump above his lip just below one nostril, and inspected everything and everywhere on him, lol, and he then had the MOH's procedure several weeks later.  He thought the bump was nothing, hardly visible and teeny, good thing the doctor was alert.

Honored Contributor

Last night I made tacos with some of the leftover porchetta, very flavorful.  I will make hash with more of the pork soon, and I have frozen three large chunks for tacos down the road.

The other night, I had four packages of ground pork so began making what were going to be my Asian patties, then realized I had no cilantro or green onions, so they were Italian flavored.  I will add the above to half of the rest of it and will have some of the Asian tonight, and the rest for the freezer, half and half.

Nice gardening weather today, warm with a slight breeze, but not hot, so I am going to try to make some progress, mostly weeding and repotting plants that have outgrown pots, and there are hundreds, did a lot last year, will just keep going and eventually it will all get done.

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend.