Super Contributor

Re: WHATS COOKING AT YOUR HOUSE THIS APRIL 2019 ?

Today I am going to prepare Chili Eggs Benedict and Baked Taquitos. My kids love them.

Respected Contributor

@sissel wrote:

I knew Easter is coming up but forgot that it is this Sunday. I do know I will make potato salad, deviled eggs, but almost positive it's the two of us & I have a ham steak in the freezer. A big ham is too much for just us. Need to figure out a veggie & dessert. DH is easy to cook for so he would be happy with a Popsicle for dessert, who know he may just have that dessert. LOL

@sissel ......potato salad and deviled eggs makes for a wonderful meal for me.....add a Popsicle and I am in HEAVEN ! 

Honored Contributor

Supper was a tuna salad sandwich and chips, as we are home alone again.   

Got my 2 dozen boiled eggs and beets in to pickle today, so my house smells of vinegar!   

Respected Contributor

good evening everyone. red top i could have tuna salad and chips with no problem. ria dosnt care for tuna fish. and i dont mind a small side salad ocationally but sometimes ria will make a salad as the meal with mini burgers or grilled chicken on it. that i dont like. i feel like i didnt eat. im not fussy but salad i dont like. she likes a salad as a meal. i said i know you like salad for a meal. i like oatmeal so i would rather have a bowl of oatmeal instead of a big salad. she cant  get how i like oatmeal. she said it looks like a bowl of vomit. we had leftovers today and anna made 4 batches of easter bread. she got like 12 loafs. she gives to family  tomorrow i will be making ricotta pie for easter and a chocolate creme pie. ria doesnt care castard type of pies. we had leftover italian coldcuts so i just made a italian calzone to get rid of them. i know some of you were wondering what there making for easter dinner. when they decide i will let you guys know. hope everyone has a great rest of the week.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pooky1 wrote:

good evening everyone. red top i could have tuna salad and chips with no problem. ria dosnt care for tuna fish. and i dont mind a small side salad ocationally but sometimes ria will make a salad as the meal with mini burgers or grilled chicken on it. that i dont like. i feel like i didnt eat. im not fussy but salad i dont like. she likes a salad as a meal. i said i know you like salad for a meal. i like oatmeal so i would rather have a bowl of oatmeal instead of a big salad. she cant  get how i like oatmeal. she said it looks like a bowl of vomit. we had leftovers today and anna made 4 batches of easter bread. she got like 12 loafs. she gives to family  tomorrow i will be making ricotta pie for easter and a chocolate creme pie. ria doesnt care castard type of pies. we had leftover italian coldcuts so i just made a italian calzone to get rid of them. i know some of you were wondering what there making for easter dinner. when they decide i will let you guys know. hope everyone has a great rest of the week.

@Pooky1   We like oatmeal, and I really love Cream of Wheat, though I hardly eat it, except when I am in the hospital. lol.  DH used to eat oatmeal every morning, now not as often.

The Easter breads sound wonderful.  Who wouldn't love calzone, have eaten them, but yet to make them, too lazy.

I usually bake ham for Easter, but decided today to make Porchetta, I know you know what this is.  Has Maria or Anna made it?  I will serve some type of potatoes, maybe cheesy scalloped, maybe a lighter type, and a green vege, and will make a carrot cake for dessert.  I make the cake layers on Saturday and put on the glaze, then into the frig until Sunday when I will frost the middles tops and sides with cream cheese frosting, and press chopped walnuts all over the sides.  I will have it for breakfast next week, lol, then run up and down the hills for an hour, not a chance, LOL!

I buy organic albacore tuna at Costco, a pale white/pink, and so good.  It's on sale now, so bought three packs of six each.  One of my favorite meals, think I mentioned this, is this tuna mixed with mayo and slathered on a crispy Acme sour baguette.  No baguette for a while with my clicking jaw, but bought a cranberry walnut bread, round, at Costco today and it is wonderful, nice and chewy but light, dessert for me tonight, and breakfast for me tomorrow, lol.  The cranberries in it are plump like raisins, and not tart.  Of course, I wasn't thinking about my jaw when I bought it, or when I sit here chewing it, lol.

I bought the new round hotdogs from here recently, so that was dinner, on a seeded bagel from Costco for me, and rolls for DH, his choice, with catsup and onions, salad on the side.  They are very good.  My salads are simple, either Spring mix, or that with cucumbers, or that with tomatoes, sometimes the mix with avocado and lemon juice, my favorite.

I am stuffed now, so no more talk of food, lol.

Gorgeous weather today and I had to go to Costco, very bad timing.  Warm, but about six or so degrees cooler.  I plan to garden like crazy since I will be stuck in the kitchen Saturday making cake and stuffed eggs for Sunday, and Sunday still cooking.

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. mousiegirl. i have hurd them talk about porchetta. they may have made it years ago but im not sure. maria has never made. anna may have but not in a long time. your carrot cake sounds wonderful.  i remember when we first were living together. i cooked dinner and made the carrot cake and cream cheese frosting. well i clean up after we eat so when maria got home she saw dirty dishes every where. but when we were dont eatting i loaded dishwasher and cleaned up kitchen. cloudy with showers today. hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

It was sultry here yesterday - I do NOT like that kind of weather. Only 80 but I was really sweating. Part of it is this cold or whatever I have in addition to just not feeling real well. Golly me.

Cooking today - do not do a lot of that any more - but will probably toss something together. With no one else in the house I find myself eating more like I did eons ago when it was only me - not for a long time but I liked it. LOL.. Always had my big meal at lunch - at at work as a bunch of us always went out for lunch. Then when I got home - which could be any hour, I had a salad or something I had made earlier with leftovers. Healthier to eat that way also I am firmly convinced. My days at work would often go into extended hours and then there was always the hour drive back home. Great not to panic. Also occasionally I would stop on the way and get a salad and just rest for a few minutes. 

Easter will be different for me. I usually cook the Easter dinners and am not offering that up and also no one has asked me out for dinner. LOL. I will be fine but will sorely miss having any little ones around to hunt Easter eggs. Many of those hunts have been held at this house through the years. My folks bought this house in the early 60s and they always had something going. Gathering place for children for sure and it did not change much through the years until now. Times have changed.

HOpe all eat well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wish I lived near you Freddie.  I'd have you over for dinner.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I had to turn the heat on this morning. Rather chilly. This, however, is very typical for this time of the year. Sweltered for a couple days and this morning plumb cold.

Also fixed some WOK veggies and orange chicken for dinner. Easy meal to fix - for one - and it was really good. Have at least one more go round with those veggies - love WOK veggies. You can literally add anything in with them and it is a good meal. Have several more meals with the Orange Chicken - it too is good.

Off to church in a while - going to hear a great message this morning for sure. He is Risen!

Have a great day one and all.

Respected Contributor

good afternoon everyone and happy easter everyone. winifred . your orange chicken sounds very good. it started off cloudy with a few showers but now its bright and sunny. anna made for easter dinner a brown sugar ham, baked potatoes, string beans, fried artichokes, rabbi, chocolate cream pie,cheese cake and the ricotta pie i made. everything was super good. maria and ann'a took plants to cematery .and there going to nursing home to visit annas brother. he has cancer ahd they gave him 3 to 6 months to live.hope everyone has a great easter and eats well.