Contributor

Re: WHATEVER DAVID SHOWS, DAVID SELLS

David says it's the best he's ever tasted for just about every food item he sells. Personally, I wouldn't take too much food advice from someone that's put on an incredible amount of weight in the past year or so. It's just like any sales person selling any product. You have to take it "with a grain of salt" so to speak. They are there to make a profit for the company. That often requires you lie, or should I say "stretch the truth." Look at Shannon Smith on HSN. She lies like a rug, and is probably one of their top producers. It's all part of the game.

Respected Contributor

Maybe this thread saved me from falling for the sales pitch on the mini pot stickers that several were swooning over this morning on air.  They seemed like they'd work well in casseroles, soups, noodle bowls, snacks . . . or not.  I canceled an order, will wait for reviews after thinking twice and asking myself if they really make sense in a Caesar salad or with an Alfredo sauce as were being touted.  Maybe so . . .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Free2be wrote:

Maybe this thread saved me from falling for the sales pitch on the mini pot stickers that several were swooning over this morning on air.  They seemed like they'd work well in casseroles, soups, noodle bowls, snacks . . . or not.  I canceled an order, will wait for reviews after thinking twice and asking myself if they really make sense in a Caesar salad or with an Alfredo sauce as were being touted.  Maybe so . . .

@Free2be,   I think many of us wonder when we see raves about every item presented, yet of course they can't sell the products if they don't recommend them.   Sometimes I wonder if the samples consumed on-air might be more flavorful or better-prepared than those frozen and shipped out to customers.

About the pot stickers, I've seen many favorable reviews from posters, although not everyone in the Community who tries them is a fan.   This thread is a good example of the discussions I've seen here:

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Today-s-Special-Value/Pot-Stickers/m-p/4452288/highlight/true#M55733

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Valued Contributor

QVC better always hold on to David, that man can sell anything and is worth his weight in gold! lol

may good luck be your friend in whatever you do
and may trouble be always a stranger to you
Esteemed Contributor

My mom and I were just talking about him yesterday!  With Christmas around the corner, he can count on several sales from Mom.  She often buys one for herself, one for my sister, and one for me.  Every year there are lots of ITKWD gifts under the tree.  😊

Trusted Contributor

Bob Bowersox used to do a lot more cooking than David, but I enjoy David's personality, and he's an excellent salesperson.  I read an article about QVC way back when that said Marybeth Roe could sell ice to Eskimos.  These days I think that "sell anything to anyone" host is David, although Jane R Treacy does a pretty good job hawking all those shoes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

He appeals to a certain segment of the population who enjoys the down-home boy approach and watches him and believes everything he says.

He is good at his job. 

-------

Indeed he does @Sooner. I've read of estate sales full of unopened cookware because grandma kept ordering from QVC and other shopping channels. Some buy because they gravitate to a particular host.

Respected Contributor

If he didn't "sell what he shows", he'd be joining the list of no-longer-on-the-air Program Hosts.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

C@loriqvc wrote:

I wouldn't be so annoyed by the presentations of TSV items that are not specifically for the kitchen if A) those presentations took up far less time and B) the TSV were not presented for at least one full hour immediately following ITWKD—and almost always hosted by David.

If the point is that the Q wants David to sell an item, and I know plenty of people who will tune in for anything he is selling, then they already have that approach in place with the TSV presentation hour; they don't need to try to sell electronics and vacuums in a show that's supposed to focus on kitchen items. And when these peripheral items are presented, viewers get a lot less of David anyway because the vendors typically take over the presentations with just a comment from David every now and then.

Just listen to ITKWD call-in testimonials.   Some callers will buy anything that DV says is good, or the best food he’s ever had, whether or not it is.  Whether callers need it or not.    Pots and pans, food, vacumn cleaners, beds, linens, cleaning supplies.   Whatever.   It must be because of his persona of Southern genteel  charm?   Callers swoon over DV’s silly Happy Dance.  He’s a real good salesperson.  

Esteemed Contributor

@EatWell - You completely missed my point...