Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT'S COOKING IN MAY 2018?

@Pooky1 wrote:

good afternoon everyone. humid n the 70s and showering down this end now. we had burgers and stove top stuffing and carrots for lunch and i will make dough boys for tonight. friday anna and i went to garden store and and bought  38 tomato plants. 4 cherry tomato.  2 regular tomatos and all the rest are plum tomatoes. anna will make tomato sauce out of the plum tomatos and jar them. then we got swiss chard. celery. and peppers.  we still have to get  parsley  basil. last week i planted the large italian string beans. long skinny string beans cuke cumbers carrots. and brocolli. last 5 items i planted were from seeds.and i just saw on qvc clearence a 15 inch grill for use on stove top or on an outdoor frill. regular price 32.50 on clearance for like 16.00.one side is a grill and otherside is just flat.  maria said get black but was unavailable so i got it in eggplant color. hope everyone has a great day.

@Pooky1  You got a great deal!  I like the eggplant color.  I used to grow, still do, paste tomatoes, freeze them, then when ready to make a sauce, removed the skins and into the pan, so good.  You must have a lot of land for all of those tomato plants, I don't have the room, or I probably would process them in jars also, a ton of work ahead of you both, but worth it. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

We had baked beans and muffins for dinner last night. Sometimes I get sooooo creative. Easy for sure and very good.

This morning is another very chilly one - I am headed shortly to my tax person to try and get it resolved that yes I DO have custody of the two little ones. "Someone" claimed one of them and of course IRS will not tell you which one. Some people are pure jerks!!! This has happened to me twice before - two years ago and 4 years ago. Tell me why I think it is someone close to me. Very upsetting.

Had to go to Urgent Care Sunday as I got bronchitis pretty bad - on a antibiotic now. Thursday scheduled for a bronchoscopy - not sure if my pulmonary MD will go thru with it yet - always something.

Oh well, others have it worse. 

Dinner tonight? Do not have a clue but I assure one and all it will not be a difficult meal - the energy level is pretty low. Maybe a salad!

Have a good day everyone.

Honored Contributor

Trucker daughter is home for less than a day and a half, so the one meal she gets to enjoy was oven roasted beef chunks and gravy, mac and cheese, oven roasted broccoli, cauliflower and carrots, sliced cucumbers and biscuits.   Apple pie for dessert.   

Honored Contributor

Last night, I discovered that rice can be used in a frittata, so in addition to the eggs and cottage cheese or ricotta, I used what I had which was cottage cheese, I added sauteed mushrooms, broccoli, sauteed onions and pancetta bits, and a bit of oregano, salt/pepper, turned out very good, enough left over for one more meal for DH.

The weather lately begins grey and cool, then by 1:00, it warms up when the sun appears, then a few hours later, huge winds come along, still in the low/mid sixties, until next week when the torture begins for the rest of the summer.

I see a bunny ouside dining on what I don't know, because as the weather warms up, the tiny fleabane daisies that they love, are dying back.  

Enjoy the day. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone.this morning is bright and sunny. last night for supper maria made a salad and grilled chicken on it and lunch was pasta with leftover sauce from the lasagna she made monday. very good and tuesday was breaded pork cutlet with baked yukon gold potatoes and brocolli allso baked with salt pepper garlic and olive oil. just now loaded dishwasher and can here it running. its so not quiet.hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

Seems Maria always comes up with a great meal Pooky1. She continuing to feel much much better??

I did not cook anything. Had a bronchoscopy done this a.m. and was not up to much - came home and slept for 3 straight hours. Interesting in that I feel better right now than I have in a long time. Weird as this procedure is not healing in anyway, it is done to try and find out the status of the continuing growing of the mass in my lungs. Strange for sure.

Have some errands to run tomorrow - hope I sleep well - probably will

Hope all had a great day and tomorrow will be an even better one.

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. last night leftover lasagna. cool right now but its going to be in the 80s today. winifred hope you start feeling better. maria is allready feeling kidney stones again. she had an ultrasound done and doctor called and told her the kidney allredy has small stonesand other kidney she never had anything done to it has some larger stones she told him she doesnt want to do anything now. he said ok but if you feel worse call me an its good to wait to let your body heel from all its been through. doctor is very nice. going grocery shopping today with ann.hope everyone has a great and safe holiday weekend.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1,

Many years ago, my husband passed 3 large kidney stones within 18 months.   He had a stone analyzed, as well as submitted collected urine for testing to see what type of stones he was making, and figure out the dietary connection.   The list of foods that contributed to his body making stones was extensive, but what I remember most was the doctor stressing limits on iced tea, tomatoes and particularly tomato based sauces, and cheese.   

Honored Contributor

Making 3 different kinds of sliders today for a picnic--Turkey, apple and cheddar, ham and provolone and meatball. Smells amazing in my house right now. I like these as they taste great hot or room temp. Easy to assemble too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

@Pooky1,

Many years ago, my husband passed 3 large kidney stones within 18 months.   He had a stone analyzed, as well as submitted collected urine for testing to see what type of stones he was making, and figure out the dietary connection.   The list of foods that contributed to his body making stones was extensive, but what I remember most was the doctor stressing limits on iced tea, tomatoes and particularly tomato based sauces, and cheese.   

@RedTop, The limits on iced tea was so difficult for me. I am southern and had it every single day. I never really loved the heavy sweet tea so popular here but I consumed great quantities of unsweetened tea.I am still ticked off about it.Woman Mad