Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I guess nobody here raises turkeys!  You'd think someone would!  

Yeah, well, when it comes to animals this is one area where I'm a bit of a hypocrite.   I eat them, but I could never kill them.  If the time came when I would have to kill them, I will go veg.  Smiley Happy

This is slightly off topic, but it's a good story.

I went to school with a local dairy farmer's son and they also raised a few beef cattle. I asked him one day about how he felt about killing the cows for meat. He swore that he could convert any vegetarian into a carnivore by having them work on their farm for a few weeks.  He said by the time they got kicked by a cow, stepped on by a cow, had to muck out barns, got hit in the face by a manure soaked tail, or knocked down by a cow a few dozen times the charm of cows starts to fade and the idea of a nice tasty steak starts to sound really good.

There are some really mean cows out there in the farm fields that farmers deal with every day and when you deal with them every day and you end up with broken toes, skinned shins, and nearly get trampled by them, the idea of killing them starts to look better and better. He was convinced he could take the most hard core vegetarian on the planet and put them on the farm for a few weeks and they'd be happily sending cows off to slaughter without a second's hesitation or feeling of guilt. He often felt like it was him against the cows and only one would come out alive. 

I suspect turkey farmers feel much the same way as they're getting pecked at, gobbled at (and by the way an enclosed space full of turkeys can be somewhat deafening) and constantly having to feed them and then clean up behind them. Killing them all and getting paid to do so, probably sounds like a pretty good idea. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

We bought a Honeysuckle White bone-in turkey breast that Aldi's had as a special buy.

Some of the forum members here had mentioned that Aldi's had them, and I checked at our store because I was interested in picking up a turkey breast for us, so that is what I did. Smiley Happy

Thanks again to those members who mentioned that they were available at Aldi's. Heart

@Toppers3 a couple of Thanksgivings ago I bought mine from Aldi's and it was delicious (I made it in the crock pot).  I intend to go back and get another one this year to use for my lunches for work.  The meat just falls off the bone, enjoy my friend!

Thanks, @momtochloeHeart

I'm looking forward to making it, and then eating it! Smiley LOL

I hope that you enjoy your TJs turkey breast. 

When you get the chance, please let us know how you like it! Smiley Happy

I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving! Heart

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

We bought a Honeysuckle White bone-in turkey breast that Aldi's had as a special buy.

Some of the forum members here had mentioned that Aldi's had them, and I checked at our store because I was interested in picking up a turkey breast for us, so that is what I did. Smiley Happy

Thanks again to those members who mentioned that they were available at Aldi's. Heart

@Toppers3 a couple of Thanksgivings ago I bought mine from Aldi's and it was delicious (I made it in the crock pot).  I intend to go back and get another one this year to use for my lunches for work.  The meat just falls off the bone, enjoy my friend!

Thanks, @momtochloeHeart

I'm looking forward to making it, and then eating it! Smiley LOL

I hope that you enjoy your TJs turkey breast. 

When you get the chance, please let us know how you like it! Smiley Happy

I wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving! Heart

Tee hee @Toppers3 I hope I have a turkey breast to eat on Thanksgiving as I am a day off this week and realize I should have bought mine today instead of leaving it until tomorrow . . . oops . . . oh well, I'll figure something out but between the two TJ's I should be able to find turkey of one sort or another . . . I hope you and DH have a lovely Thanksgiving too my friend!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Hi @momtochloe,

I hope that you can find something, too!

One of our local markets at this time of year, usually has fresh turkey parts individually packaged for customers in the fresh meat case, so maybe you can find something like that by you, that you can make in your Crock Pot?

They usually have breasts, thighs, and legs available, so hopefully you can find something.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toppers3 wrote:

Hi @momtochloe,

One of our local markets at this time of year, usually has fresh turkey parts individually packaged for customers in the fresh meat case, so maybe you can find something like that by you, that you can make in your Crock Pot?

They usually have breasts, thighs, and legs available, so hopefully you can find something.

@Toppers3 to be honest I am just so happy to be returning to the work force that what I am going to eat on Thanksgiving is not important as the best part of the day is all of the blessings I have received . . . Smiley Happy  Heart

ETA:  ooops sorry, I don't know if any stores by me have fresh turkeys but there is one store that has rotisserie roasted turkey breasts so that's another option . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

Hi @momtochloe,

@Toppers3 to be honest I am just so happy to be returning to the work force that what I am going to eat on Thanksgiving is not important as the best part of the day is all of the blessings I have received . . . Smiley Happy  Heart

ETA:  ooops sorry, I don't know if any stores by me have fresh turkeys but there is one store that has rotisserie roasted turkey breasts so that's another option . . . Smiley Happy

Good news @Toppers3, I was able to purchase a lovely 1/2 turkey breast from Fresh Thyme Market!  I started there as they have spices that you can buy by the pinch so to speak but didn't have any turkey breasts (just the other pieces).  A very nice young man said they would cut one for me (never heard of before around where I live) but said I would check Trader Joe's which I came up empty.  Back to FTM I went and I have the nicest breast at half the price and much larger than TJ's.  Lesson learned (in TJ's defense they were supposed to get two cases of breasts that never showed up).  I am just glad I have something to prepare tomorrow although because the breast is much larger than what I am used to I hope it fits in my toaster oven . . . Smiley Happy

Have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving my friend . . . Heart

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Last week and this week, Meijer had a deal where with an additional $30 purchase all turkeys (fresh or frozen) would be discounted 60%.  A Meijer frozen turkey would end up being 47 cents/lb. and frozen Butterballs were 95 cents/lb.  I stood there debating, a bird is a bird, right?  I ended up taking an 18 lb. Butterball and still got an extra breast too.  We aren't having a big crowd, but I plan for a lot of food so I can send some home with the kids and still have leftovers for us.

I was just at Meijer yesterday and the deal is 50% off a turkey with an additional purchase of $30 or more. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I took the Shady Brook Farms turkey breast as my freebie from our grocery store.  If cooked properly, all turkey tastes the same to me

Esteemed Contributor

I can't recall the brand but it was good, juicy and tender.  Our Food Lion grocery store has a sale where you can get a turkey for 37 cents/pound if you buy $35 of groceries.  I've been buying one of those the past few years.