Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

[ Edited ]

Honeysuckle, hands down.

161964a18z53GC.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

I bought a whole turkey breast and 2 drumsticks to cook in my crock pot. We are going away for dinner so I cook a small turkey dinner for the leftovers. Will not buy a whole bird anymore---absolutely HATE having to bone the stupid thing after wards.  What ever was the right size  and price is what I bought.

Trusted Contributor

Purchased a turkey breast at Coscto for $29.99 that also came with stuffing and gravy.  Just the two of us for Thanksgiving.

Respected Contributor

Well the fact that there are only three of us dining, we buy a small fresh turkey breast (4-6 lb).

We have a turkey farm about 2 miles away and order from them.  The cost is $5.29 a pound; pricey I know, but we only like white meat, so none of it goes to waste.

I like to support our local farms and businesses and on top of that I know I am getting a good, quality product.

Contributor

Hi I'm new to the Blogs & Forums came across this topic. Love Thanksgiving my favorite time of the year. I buy my turkey from a resturant that serves only barbecue, I get a smoked turkey it is so tender love the smoke flavor it has. Not expensive bird just enough for four people we should have plenty left for sandwichs for a few days. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving !Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@gottaloveme wrote:

Hi I'm new to the Blogs & Forums came across this topic. Love Thanksgiving my favorite time of the year. I buy my turkey from a resturant that serves only barbecue, I get a smoked turkey it is so tender love the smoke flavor it has. Not expensive bird just enough for four people we should have plenty left for sandwichs for a few days. Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving !Smiley Happy

HI and welcome @gottaloveme!  Your smoked turkey sounds delicious and a great meal for you and your family . . . yum!

Great to have you join us and I hope you continue to post with us and may I wish you and your family a happy and delicious Thanksgiving too . . . Smiley Happy

Contributor

Thank You !

Regular Contributor

Bought ours yesterday and ended up with a Honeysuckle White.

I usully just look for one that is the approximate weight I want. It's just 3 of us and with hopeful leftovers for a few days we went with a 13lb bird.

The Butterball at our store were only the massive ones like over 18lbs.

The store brand ones were being restocked when we were there so didn't even look at those.

We fry our turkey so its always been nice and moist regardless of the brand.

Honored Contributor

We wanted a smaller turkey this year and could NOT find one anywhere.

I also wanted just a turkey breast and couldn't find that either.

We went to numerous stores, finally found a 15 lb turkey at Trader Joe's, organic, young, free range.  $58.00.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always order a fresh one from Raley's, a west coast grocery chain, for around $2 to $2.50 per pound, so that's pretty inexpensive for what you get.  I just did my mondo grocery shopping this morning for Thanksgiving (it was brutal and I'm still recovering!) and picked him up.    

They are actually semi-local, from some specific farm that is in California and branded by Raley's as their in-store brand.  Raley's, for those who don't live out here, is a somewhat higher end grocery store than the other chain stores, so their in-house brands tend to be of high quality.

For a 16lb he was around $33.   They are called 'super broadbreasted' but they look pretty normal.  I've been getting those for a number of years now.  You order ahead and the day you plan for that shopping they have them in the back and you pick yours up.   This was the first year that I had order number ONE!  (I'm easily amused)