Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

@Sooner wrote:

I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone went for this year.  Mother and I a long time ago would only buy Honeysuckle White.  We decided they weren't so good and turned out dry.  Then for a long then we would buy Butterball and those were good then we decided they were not as good and began buying cheap bargain ones and were just as happy or happier with them!

Once mother cooked a 24 pound one.  We also sometimes cooked ducks or a goose, quail or wild turkey along with the regular turkey. 

Either a "fresh" Butterball or "fresh" Shady Brook Farms turkey....

Valued Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

After over 30+ years, I am NOT cooking a turkey this year....my daughter has chosen to host the family.  Of course, still taking several sides and pies,  I've tried lots of different brand of birds over the years....I've brined many of them.  Probably for the past 10 years or so, I have bought the Trader Joe's brined turkeys and have always been very pleased.

OT....Made the best soup last year using up the leftovers....stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey meat, gravy all plopped in together. and added some noodles.  Eighteen year old grandson CALLED me...that's right, CALLED me (no texting!!) to tell me it was the best thing I've ever made.  Great flavor from the stuffing and good thickness from the potatoes.  Never ever did that before...Who knew??!!

Honored Contributor

My sister is cooking this year.  She's changed the menu a number of times.  As of today, it will be turkey.  Costco has a turkey breast with stuffing and gravy that comes in a tin you cook it in for $29.  She's heard it was good.  I guess we'll know when we see it in the fridge weds night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sweetee2 wrote:

I bought a 24 lb. Butter ball and cook it in a bag. Even my MIL use to like it. My son is cooking a small turkey and smoking it in the tragger.

WE JUST BOUGHT OUR TURKEY!  Seventy-eight cents a pound store brand, 12 pounds.  We're just cooking it on Wed.  No guests, party or big meal, just were turkey hungry.  We haven't cooked one in years.

@sweetee2  I want one of those.  The Tragger not the turkey.  LOL!!!  I bought myself a Cook Shack electric smoker for my retirement gift to me and we love it!  You put it on and forget it.  Of course wood smoked is better, but we were just tired of baby sitting the Oklahoma Joe all day and the wind here makes it iffy at best if you don't stand over it!

I got a Big Green Egg for my birthday several years ago and it is super, but that little electric smoker turns out some good ribs, chicken and ham.  Now about that tragger--I've got a birthday coming up !!!!  HA HA!!!  Pellet Envy!

Respected Contributor

Winn Dixie grocery here in Fl. was offering all brands for $6 per turkey on Sat. and Sun.

All brands and all sizes included.  My daughter got an 18 lb., not sure of brand for $6.

Honored Contributor

Last week and this week, Meijer had a deal where with an additional $30 purchase all turkeys (fresh or frozen) would be discounted 60%.  A Meijer frozen turkey would end up being 47 cents/lb. and frozen Butterballs were 95 cents/lb.  I stood there debating, a bird is a bird, right?  I ended up taking an 18 lb. Butterball and still got an extra breast too.  We aren't having a big crowd, but I plan for a lot of food so I can send some home with the kids and still have leftovers for us.

Esteemed Contributor

We got ours from DH's employer. 

This will probably be the last year.  The employer tried to cancel the order but it was too late.  They are doing budget cuts and also took away free coffee for the employees and delayed raises.

We will use ours in the summer. We go to my sister's home for Thanksgiving.

Honored Contributor

discounted Butterball from ShopRite

best turkey ever was when my sister lived in Vermont and she bought one from a local farmer that was fresh that week!

but now I just get a BB

Honored Contributor

For the last 5 years or so I buy a fresh farm raised turkey from a wonderful gourmet market about 5 minutes from my home.  They partner with an Amish farm that is very protective of raising their turkeys right.

These turkeys are THE ABSOLUTE BEST we've ever had - they're very clean, cook really fast too.  We get the smallest we can get which will average about 11-12 lbs, perfect for us because we'll have a good portion to freeze and enjoy later throughout the winter for turkey soup or do the meal all over again.  Left overs are as good as they are on the big day this Thursday.

Respected Contributor

I bought a 13 lb frozen Butterball.

(We also have a 6 lb honey ham from a local ham place here.)

Really downsized on the turkey this year - did not really want leftovers this year for a change!! 

And, I use an oven bag - cooks faster and comes out real tender and juicy every time!!

-Texas Hill Country-