Honored Contributor

WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

I just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone went for this year.  Mother and I a long time ago would only buy Honeysuckle White.  We decided they weren't so good and turned out dry.  Then for a long then we would buy Butterball and those were good then we decided they were not as good and began buying cheap bargain ones and were just as happy or happier with them!

Once mother cooked a 24 pound one.  We also sometimes cooked ducks or a goose, quail or wild turkey along with the regular turkey. 

Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

We usually bought whatever the most cost efficient turkey was be it a Honeysuckle White, Butterball or one of the local grocery chain favorites.  Now that it's just me and because of my limited oven space I will be buying one of Trader Joe's 1/4 breast fresh turkey breast for Thanksgiving Day.

Later on this year, whomever has the most cost effective frozen turkey breast will get my money as I would like to make one in the crock pot and freeze the results for future uses . . . Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

There is a small market in my town thats store brand is Shurfine, and their turkeys   Are really good.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

I ordered a fresh kill 6-7 lb turkey from my neighborhood butcher.  It's about $48.  It sounds pricey, but last year was the first time the two of us ate the WHOLE bird through the weekend and didn't throw any of it away.  It was fantastically tender and fresh and, to my mind, well worth the money.

Respected Contributor

i get that. sometimes its worth spending more for something that will get eaten. like when we buy a ham someone i worked with raved about buddaball hams. i tried them and we would never buy any other ham. there alittle more expensive but worth every penny.

Esteemed Contributor

Used to get free butterball turkey gift certificates from work.  When that stopped, bought  kosher turkeys - little more difficult to find, but the best turkeys I've ever cooked. 

I have so many wild turkeys around me now and I leave food for them in winter, watch them grow their families, etc.  so kinda can't eat turkey anymore.  Thanksgiving is hard 'cause if I go out turkey is served - try to just eat stuffing; not vegan, just eat very little meat. 

Honored Contributor

I order a fresh turkey from a butcher.  No comparison - these actually have flavor.  

Honored Contributor

Acme had frozen turkey breasts on sale for $0.88 /lb in early October, so I picked up a six pound one. I believe it's a Jennie-O but I could be wrong about the brand. I'll find out how good it is Thursday.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The grocery store gives free ones as long as you spend a certain amount by Thanksgiving.

Trusted Contributor

I bought a 24 lb. Butter ball and cook it in a bag. Even my MIL use to like it. My son is cooking a small turkey and smoking it in the tragger.