Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

I cooked 2 turkey breasts from the freezer; one was a Jennie-O and the other a Honeysuckle White.   

Trusted Contributor

Re: WHAT KIND OF TURKEY DID YOU BUY? Expensive? Cheap, Fresh Frozen? Big? Little?

@momtochloe wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

Hi @momtochloe,

I hope that you can find something, too!

One of our local markets at this time of year, usually has fresh turkey parts individually packaged for customers in the fresh meat case, so maybe you can find something like that by you, that you can make in your Crock Pot?

They usually have breasts, thighs, and legs available, so hopefully you can find something.

@Toppers3 to be honest I am just so happy to be returning to the work force that what I am going to eat on Thanksgiving is not important as the best part of the day is all of the blessings I have received . . . Smiley Happy  Heart

ETA:  ooops sorry, I don't know if any stores by me have fresh turkeys but there is one store that has rotisserie roasted turkey breasts so that's another option . . . Smiley Happy

Good news @Toppers3, I was able to purchase a lovely 1/2 turkey breast from Fresh Thyme Market!  I started there as they have spices that you can buy by the pinch so to speak but didn't have any turkey breasts (just the other pieces).  A very nice young man said they would cut one for me (never heard of before around where I live) but said I would check Trader Joe's which I came up empty.  Back to FTM I went and I have the nicest breast at half the price and much larger than TJ's.  Lesson learned (in TJ's defense they were supposed to get two cases of breasts that never showed up).  I am just glad I have something to prepare tomorrow although because the breast is much larger than what I am used to I hope it fits in my toaster oven . . . Smiley Happy

Have a happy and healthy Thanksgiving my friend . . . Heart

Hi @momtochloe,

I was thinking about you and I didn't see this post for some reason.

I'm so happy that you got your turkey breast!

Were you able to get it into your oven, or did you end up making it in your slow cooker?

I made ours in our table top oven. 

It turned out really well.

We still have some left, and will finish it off later tonight for dinner, so we were able to get three meals out of it.

The skin came out nicely browned, and it was moist and juicy on the inside.

I roasted it "low and slow," following the directions on the Honeysuckle website.

I oiled the skin lightly with some veggie oil and rubbed a little bit of salt and pepper all over it. That's all that I wanted to put on it for seasoning.

It was already injected with sodium.

I roasted it in my Gramma's old-fashioned small, oval enamaled roasting pan so that I could put it upright, just as if you were roasting a whole turkey.

It took about 2 hours and 20 minutes in the oven.

Our oven normally runs a little on the low and slow side. I have to account for it taking a few minutes longer when making something in it.

I was roasting it at 325 degrees. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Brooklynny wrote:

I ordered a fresh kill 6-7 lb turkey from my neighborhood butcher.  It's about $48.  It sounds pricey, but last year was the first time the two of us ate the WHOLE bird through the weekend and didn't throw any of it away.  It was fantastically tender and fresh and, to my mind, well worth the money.

@Brooklynny wrote:

I ordered a fresh kill 6-7 lb turkey from my neighborhood butcher.  It's about $48.  It sounds pricey, but last year was the first time the two of us ate the WHOLE bird through the weekend and didn't throw any of it away.  It was fantastically tender and fresh and, to my mind, well worth the money.

Neighbor hunts, Wild Turkey. Tastes nothing like store bought. 😋😀
Honored Contributor

I buy organic, free range.  I need a small one since it's just me, so I try to find one in the 8-10 lbs range to fit in my roasting pan.  

Last year I purchased mine from Wegmans and it was $5.00 per pound (this year it was $6 per pound).  This year, I was able to find one at Costco for $3.29 per pound.

The local farms were taking orders for $4.00 per pound, but couldn't guarantee me a small bird.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN