Respected Contributor

Because  of certain diet restrictions, I have to puree food.  I'm using my Vitamix, which does a great job, but food "collects" under the blades and it's almost impossible to get it.  I use a small scrapper, but it doesn't do much.  I sounds petty, but it drives me crazy because it's a few forkfuls someone could be eating.  Is there a special "utensil " I could use to really get most of the food.  Those pesky blades get in the way.  

Regular Contributor

Re: Vitamix Question

[ Edited ]

Respected Contributor

Gerdane, thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried using gravy when pureeing meat and it doesn't help.  I will try water tomorrow.

Super Contributor

I don't even use my Vitamix to make hummus or nut butter because it seems so much is wasted at the bottom.  

Valued Contributor

Why don't you contact Vitamix and ask for their suggestions?

Esteemed Contributor

@coffee drinker, I've used the following method for similar problems.  Hope it works for your Vitamix issue. 

Put a small coffee filter (the 4-8 cup size) in a strainer that's about the size of the filter. Swish a couple of ounces of water in the Vitamix to loosen the food collected around the blade. Pour into coffee filter. Set strainer aside in the sink, water will slowly drain out thru the coffee filter. Spoon the food carefully out of the filter. 

Honored Contributor

I use a very slender, flexible rubber spatula to get the stuff out of the blades. I also use a bottle brush to swish around the blade to clean it. Found them at AMZ.