Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Vidalia's Are Available - Who Is Your Favorite Grower?

Vidalia's are in and available to ship this week.

Who is your favorite grower if you live locally or have them shipped?

Respected Contributor

Re: Vidalia's Are Available - Who Is Your Favorite Grower?

[ Edited ]

@Snowpuppy I ordered them for the first time last April on the recommendation of @sharke I think.  They were excellent.

I wrapped them individually in newsprint and stored them in a canvas string closure bag and they kept well for months--no spoilage and delicious.

Edited to add:  The company that sharke recommended was Morris Farms and I ordered via their website,

Honored Contributor

Haven't seen them yet around here. Use to be great the ones from Morris Farms in Ga. but, as the yrs came and gone I couldn't tell the difference between them and ones Sam's gets in.

They keep good in  refrig crisper. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to live about 60 miles from Vidalia and Glenville GA. Both town are famous for their sweet onions. Driving into the onion farms it smelled liked baked onions. Used to buy large bags of onions and give them out to friends. There used to be gift shops on the farms where you could purchase relishes and such and cookbooks I don't know if these shops are still open. They do still have onion festivals each year around the first of May. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SharkE   Not in the stores up here, yet. I wanted to order online as it looks like 2 day delivery here.

I'm hoping the fresher, the better!

Honored Contributor

I can remember when I could eat an onion like a apple. No acid, etc.

Can't find that kind any more . Maybe if you live in Ga. you can but what

they send to other states are better then local ones, but, not like the ones of old.

Dummy husband can eat radishes, but, won't touch onion 'cept maybe green onions. Radishes would tear my stomach up, but, a good onion doesn't bother me. 

Esteemed Contributor

If you're looking for a sweet onion withou the price of vidalia's you can try candy onions if you find them in your area.

They are available late summer/early fall. They are white and look like a traditional white onion but very sweet with no acid bite to them.

They do cook up well. Try a few if you can find them.

Respected Contributor

Meijer grocery store, just don't have many to choose, or Aldi's if I only need one or two things. We also have a place called "Fresh Thyme "

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I have the privilege of driving straight to Bland farms in Glennville to pick them up. I usually purchase a jumbo bag and split with several ladies. Vidalia onions are the best!

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

I don't remember the name of the grower from Georgia, but he text me if I wanted them again and I said yes. I buy them for me and my sister in Va, His name is Henry, will email me when their shipped. He's super nice,and the onions are perfect.