Trusted Contributor

I buy Vidalia onions whenever they are available.  The best!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Vidalia onions

[ Edited ]

I do, only way you can get them is big ol' 1 pound  individual onion size.

Don't know why they're not bringing them in , in the 5 lb bag yet.

I even talked to the produce mgr at Sam's he says "maybe by end of month or first of July".  Huh ? they will be sold out if you try to order them later

I always thought they send the lesser ones to the stores and the better quality ones were for the people who paid the bigger price. Then, the ones I got at Sam's were good , so, I thought I would just get 4-5 bags from them when they came in . they haven't come in yet, so, I'm going back to get them directly before they sell out.

@ID2 

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@ScarletDove 

I also meant to mention that I usually use 'Better Than Boullion', it's a paste in small jars and 1 tsp equals 1 cube.

To me it has a better beefy taste and is not as salty as the cubes.

Please let me know what you think when you try them!

@KingstonsMomThanks again for the info...have seen Better than Boullion, but never used it...

Honored Contributor

I’ve bought 15 lbs of vidalias so far.    

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Earlier in the week, I made some fried cabbage / onions / bacon and used Vidalia onions.  

Also - delicious in a cucumber salad ... sliced cucumbers, onions marinated a bit in rice wine vinegar and honey.  

@ALRATIBA: Yum! Fried cabbage sounds so good. I've never fried cabbage before. I usually bake it in a casserole dish and add bacon, onions, garlic, bell pepper. The next time I have cabbage, I'm going to fry it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Vidalia onions

[ Edited ]

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

Earlier in the week, I made some fried cabbage / onions / bacon and used Vidalia onions.  

Also - delicious in a cucumber salad ... sliced cucumbers, onions marinated a bit in rice wine vinegar and honey.  

@ALRATIBA: Yum! Fried cabbage sounds so good. I've never fried cabbage before. I usually bake it in a casserole dish and add bacon, onions, garlic, bell pepper. The next time I have cabbage, I'm going to fry it. 

@Diva on The Q 

Start with the bacon .... fried until crispy ... drain excess bacon fat and add onions and cook until translucent, mushrooms, peppers... then add cabbage,   Add salt, pepper and any other spices.

I frequently use the bags of Dole coleslaw mix .... cabbage and grated carrots.  Saves me having to cut the cabbage.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Diva on The Q 

Start with the bacon .... fred until crispy ... drain excess bacon fat and add onions and cook until translucent, mushrooms, peppers... then add cabbage,   Add salt, pepper and any other spices.

I frequently use the bags of Dole coleslaw mix .... cabbage and grated carrots.  Saves me having to cut the cabbage.

@ALRATIBA: Fantastic idea, using coleslaw mix. That will definetely save me from all the chopping! Thanks Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I love them just sauteed in butter.  I don't know how many I've gone through in the last 10 days since they've been in our stores.  I could eat in plate full of them.

Honored Contributor

The last bag we bought were out of this world!  The best I've ever had.

Respected Contributor
@ starke
Any hints for keeping onions. Years ago I tried putting them in pantyhose and hanging in basement. Any other tricks?