Respected Contributor

Very moist dressing or drier?

Since there are a few of the dressing/stuffing posts and people have such different ideas about it I thought I would ask the question. My husband likes his dry and hates gravy. I love moist dressing with loads of gravy. 

if you like it moist what do you do to get it very moist? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Very moist dressing or drier?

I love it in between with lots of gravy...need gravy on my stuffing, turkey & potatoes....along with some homemade cranberry sauce on the side!  Yummy!

Esteemed Contributor

I use chicken broth to make it moist.

Esteemed Contributor

Extremely moist.  We've never made gravy for Thanksgiving so the turkey broth goes into the dressing and as part of the broth for our noodles.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Lali1   Lots of unsalted butter and low sodium broth.  I use my Mom's basic ingredients but I have added ingredients to it over the years.  It has definitely evolved over the years.  

But, for me, one key thing that I always use is Bell's seasoning; for me it is not dressing without it.  It even smells like Thanksgiving.

If your husband prefers it on the drier side than you do, my solution would be to make two separate pans of it, with more moisture/liquid added to yours.  Pouring gravy over your serving helps as well.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Dressing is my favorite part of the meal. I like it on the dry side and nice and crispy on top. I'm one of the 5 people in America that doesn't like gravy, LOL, but that's more for everyone else so it's all good.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Lali1 wrote:

Since there are a few of the dressing/stuffing posts and people have such different ideas about it I thought I would ask the question. My husband likes his dry and hates gravy. I love moist dressing with loads of gravy. 

if you like it moist what do you do to get it very moist? 

@Lali1 same as @GinaV24 I use chicken broth to make it moist.  I also add sometimes tiny sometimes bigger pieces of diced apple for more moisture. Got a chuckle when you said your husband likes it dry and then you promptly asked how to make it not only moist but very moist lol.

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Lali1   Lots of unsalted butter and low sodium broth.  I use my Mom's basic ingredients but I have added ingredients to it over the years.  It has definitely evolved over the years.  

But, for me, one key thing that I always use is Bell's seasoning; for me it is not dressing without it.  It even smells like Thanksgiving.

If your husband prefers it on the drier side than you do, my solution would be to make two separate pans of it, with more moisture/liquid added to yours.  Pouring gravy over your serving helps as well.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Thank you for the tips. That is exactly what I do make 2 batches. Or sometimes I just add stock to mine before reheating. I'll have to try the seasoning. 

Respected Contributor

I try to do both.  I put some in the turkey, as I think it adds flavor to the turkey meat.  This stuffing always comes out moist.  I put the rest in an oblong baking pan and bake it off as the turkey rests.  This stuffing comes out a bit crispy on top and semi moist on the bottom.

I also make gravy.  I love just some dressing with turkey meat and gravy on top!  Yum!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

I like mine moist, but no gravy. My dressing is very plain with just onions and celery, salt and pepper. I mix it with chicken broth. Some goes in the bird and the rest is baked in a pan. The only leftovers I keep for myself is some turkey and dressing. Love my turkey sandwich with cranberry sauce and cold dressing. YUM.