Honored Contributor

Re: Very Tempted by the Todays TSV...Are There Any Cons About It

I have one and use it almost daily for both cooking but it's also great at reheating things.  It's pretty simple to use although since it's a newer technology there may be a bit of a learning curve.  I love french fries and it's so great to throw a handful of frozen ones in there and a few minutes later have a deep fryer quality product.

Unfortunately I have the smaller one as I bought mine when they were first introduced.  I would love to upgrade to the larger version but it isn't in the budget right now but I would love an air fried turkey breast for Thanksgiving . . . Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I have the Emeril Fryer and really do like it.  I am finding that I can cook almost anything in it since it will roast, grill, fry, bake and so on.  Pretty much anything you would cook in the oven, you can cook in your air fryer.  It is a great confection oven, 

They compared the CE fryer sold in March with this larger one during the presentation and while it is definitely larger, the increase in size was not as substantial as one might think.  I have found that leaving it out on the counter or in a very readily accessible location, it encourages me to use it for just about anything I can.  There is such minimal cleanup too which is great.  When I do want to wash the baskets, it is simple to toss both in the dishwasher.

I had mixed feelings when I got Emeril's but I am so glad I decided to try it.  It has made cooking everything I have tried so far so easy with excellent results.  I am seriously considering ordering this larger digital version as it can accomodate even more with the increase size.

I do not recommend using Pam or similar type oil sprays (aerosols basically) as I have read that they will eat away non stick finishes.  They do it to cookware and I have no doubt they could just as easily do it to the non stick finishes in Air Fryers.  Possible that is why some are already experiencing peeling while others are experiencing none whatsoever.  I think more warnings about aerosol sprays damaging non stick finishes should be included with any non stick product.

There are tons of misters available now where you can use the oil of your choice so there is no need to use those damaging ones anyway.  Or just sprinkle some oil on (when you need it as you often do not need any) - many recipes call for putting a small amount of oil in a bowl and just rolling the food in it which requires minimal oil anyway.  I do that lots with veggies to roast them and they turn out great.

I honestly can not think of a con as this air fryer has turned out to be so much more than I could have imagined.

Honored Contributor

What a great thread!! I,too, have been toying with getting this but don't think I will now. I do have room to store it on a rack in my dining room, so size isn't the issue, however--me and  my family don't  eat french fries or mozz stixs or any frozen convenience foods. and I don't ever fry stuff anyway. I also have a counter top convection oven that I use all the time, that is much bigger and no non stick to worry about. Is the non stick the"safe" non stick in the air fryer?  Plus I don't want to send it back if I don't like it and the warranty worries me too. So thank you for all your comments.

Trusted Contributor

Don't forget that you basically have 3 months to decide if you would really use it.  Anything bought now can be returned until 1/31/2017.  That is a good amount of time to judge how useful it would be for you.

Although the warranty might seem short, QVC is pretty good about exchanging defective products beyond the 30 day normal return time.  They do stand behind their products better than most companies.

At least that has been my experience.

I personally found the NuWave very clumsy.  It is very large and having to remove the heavy top portion to check on the food, turn it over, etc. was really awkward or so I found.  Am sure many love it but these AF are so much more convenient and simple to use in comparison.

Trusted Contributor

If you already own a convection oven then I can see passing on the AF.  I am also not a fry food person.  Have only bought some frozen fried food since acquiring my AF just to try it out.  But I really am finding so many other uses which is essentialy because it is convection.

I debated getting a countertop convection oven but once I realized that that was basically what I was using my AF for, there was no need for it.  This takes up less room on the counter and pretty much does everything I would want a convection oven to do.

Valued Contributor

no cons. my only con with the smaller one i own is i had wished it were a little larger - so this one kind of solved that problem.

Trusted Contributor

David is driving me crazy with his obsession on colors and count - Meredith has hardly been able to demo even a few of the foods she has made and she's been on for 10 minutes already.  He gets so hung up on the number of items sold in his show sometimes that he doesn't let vendors do their presentations thoroughly.  Sorry to complain about David but he has really frustrated me today with his constant interruptions.  In the first 5 minutes of Meredith's presentation, he had to do colors 3 separate times.  Isn't that a bit of overkill?

Sorry, got my rant out .........................  I just really like to see all the foods that Meredith has prepared because she is so good with AF's.

Honored Contributor

One thing I noticed is even though it is large and supposedly holds a lot, they don't cook a lot at one time.  That basket looks like it would hold quite a bit of food, but when the demonstrator pours out the food, it isn't as much as you'd think they'd have cooked.

I know it might not seem like a big thing but they are hawking the fact that it's way larger than the one they previously sold, so you'd think they'd want to demonstrate the large capacity being cooked!

It just looks so large and bulky.  A lot of people are selling versions of these.  Emeril has one, as does Wolfgang Puck, you name it, different versions but some look very much like these.

I'm mostly curious as to why they don't cook larger amounts to demonstrate how much they cook at one time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

On the TSV thread on the forum today, another viewer stated that the warranty from the manufacture is 1 year and QVC's is 60 days. The viewer has the smaller one and she says it is stated in the warranty. Wish they would address it on air as it

looks like a really nice air fryer. I guess we would have to buy it and use it until the end of January to be sure we are happy with it. Just because the warranty is up doesn't mean it will break. Just about every warranty I have had on appliances I never had a problem with. On the fence if it would have the 1 year on it. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I have the smaller one and I wouldn't trade it for anything!  It sits on my counter and I use it 2 or 3 times a week!  I like that the new one has 6 presets, mine has 4, but it's just too big for me.

I'm sure you'd love it and I wouldn't  worry about the warranty.  Mine's still going strong.