Honored Contributor
Make pimento cheese. The recipe I use calls for Velveeta and cheddar cheese, pimentoes and mayo. I just recently ate pimento cheese made with cream cheese and less mayo, which was also very tasty.
Honored Contributor

I use it mostly for cottage potatoes, grilled cheese and rotel.

Trusted Contributor
On 12/28/2014 momtodogs said:

I use it mostly for cottage potatoes, grilled cheese and rotel.

I recently made cottage potatoes for the first time. I used a recipe from the Food Network site. It did not have any Velveta, just cottage cheese. Do you just put a little on top? To the OP. Of course, I think Rotel dip and Mac and cheese are the two best things to make.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Eww, get rid of it! hahahaha - just kidding (kinda).

{#emotions_dlg.devil2}

I didn't want you to be disappointed that nobody stopped by to police you.

Happy day, Ms HB! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
On 12/28/2014 colliegirls said:
On 12/28/2014 qualitygal said:

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. It's comfort food on my list, second only to chicken and dumplings.

OMG, I LOVE thick homemade chicken and dumplings!!! Wish I had an old fashioned recipe for it (but not too time consuming)!!

Well you can use one of those rotisserie chickens from the deli and make dumplings or use the frozen ones. The stock can be just chicken broth or bullion base/stock. Boil the broth/stock until it has reduced significantly, so using 10 cups would work well to get the slow cooked taste or just use less stock. Then toss in the chicken you have shredded/pulled off the bone and slowly drop in the dumplings and cook until dumplings are done. I make a soup with this as well but do my chicken in the pressure cooker and take that liquid to make my broth with carrots, celery, and pearl onions during the chicken cooking. I pull the chicken out and let the broth boil while the chicken cools enough to handle since hot chicken is easier to clean that cold. When the broth has reduced some, I mix up some Bisquick mix for biscuits, but drop the dumplings by small dumplings off of a tea spoon about the size of your first joint on your pinky finger. I like mine small. Once those are in, I put the chicken back in and let the dumplings cook. The Bisquick really thickens up the broth for a good stew/soup. My regular dumplings are just chicken and dumplings. You can add a bit of turmeric for color if you like the yellow broth. I also prefer my chicken to be in small bites and not chunks.

Esteemed Contributor
On 12/28/2014 tigriss said:
On 12/28/2014 colliegirls said:
On 12/28/2014 qualitygal said:

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. It's comfort food on my list, second only to chicken and dumplings.

OMG, I LOVE thick homemade chicken and dumplings!!! Wish I had an old fashioned recipe for it (but not too time consuming)!!

Well you can use one of those rotisserie chickens from the deli and make dumplings or use the frozen ones. The stock can be just chicken broth or bullion base/stock. Boil the broth/stock until it has reduced significantly, so using 10 cups would work well to get the slow cooked taste or just use less stock. Then toss in the chicken you have shredded/pulled off the bone and slowly drop in the dumplings and cook until dumplings are done. I make a soup with this as well but do my chicken in the pressure cooker and take that liquid to make my broth with carrots, celery, and pearl onions during the chicken cooking. I pull the chicken out and let the broth boil while the chicken cools enough to handle since hot chicken is easier to clean that cold. When the broth has reduced some, I mix up some Bisquick mix for biscuits, but drop the dumplings by small dumplings off of a tea spoon about the size of your first joint on your pinky finger. I like mine small. Once those are in, I put the chicken back in and let the dumplings cook. The Bisquick really thickens up the broth for a good stew/soup. My regular dumplings are just chicken and dumplings. You can add a bit of turmeric for color if you like the yellow broth. I also prefer my chicken to be in small bites and not chunks.

Thank you, Tigriss!!!! YUM!!

Super Contributor

A sweet dish is Velveeta and apple ""casserole."" It can be a side with ham or pork loin or it can be a dessert. My DH loves it as a dessert.

tea

Respected Contributor
Honny, I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your Mom and Dad, sincerely! BUT, from me, your friend the "food snob", I would suggest swirling in some fig balsamic into the Velveeta, and scattering shaved black truffles on top. I would then serve it on a cracker that has snob appeal- something that you are supposed to enjoy, but really don't- but looks fashionable to eat....like Norwegian Flat Bread! Yes,yes, yes! Oh, you could make some "fattyliscious" maple baked bacon (for those who are watching carbs and health: maple syrup does boast polyphenols!)......and to drink? Why, a nice crisp glass of Apple Cider of course- as recommended by your friend, the Cider Obsessed. For you,however, I want to make it special, so here is a nice glass of hard cider! Honny I have truly enjoyed your posts and trading ideas: Happy New Year's to you and yours, and may you enjoy love, happiness and health in the upcoming year! Hugs, Poodlepet2
Respected Contributor

You can also thicken it by corn starch and let it cook down, but I find Bisquick or homemade dumplings thicken it. For homemade dumplings I use a few cups of flour, an egg, a pinch of salt, herbs if you like or Parmesan, and enough water to just bring it together into a dough you can roll out thinly and slice for transitional flat dumplings but I just scoop out tiny bits for drop dumplings.

When I pressure cook my chicken I use a hen instead of a chicken because hens have more fat due to age and make a great stock, plus spices, herbs, garlic, pepper, and veggies if you like for your stock. You can also slow cook it over night as my mother did. No big issues there either, but it is a day and half process to cook the chicken at night, cool, and make the dumplings for supper, dinner if you get up early enough. The pressure cooker really speeds it up quiet a bit and has better flavor with the pressure!