Respected Contributor
On 9/29/2014 SusieLong said:

Here's a list of the ingredients and description of the less familiar ones. Don't know why people think there's plastic in it because I don't think that's allowed in consumable food items, and I sure don't see it on this list.

Regular Velveeta cheese contains milk, water, milk fat, whey, whey protein concentrate and milk protein concentrate. These ingredients make up the bulk of the product. Enzymes and cheese culture are included to aid in the manufacture of the cheese -- these ingredients are bacterial agents that determine the taste, texture and appearance of cheese products. Velveeta cheese contains alginate, an emulsifier found naturally in brown algae. Sodium citrate adds a tart flavor in addition to acting as a preservative and acidity regulator. Sodium phosphate functions similarly to extend the product's shelf life. Two ingredients give Velveeta cheese its distinct hue -- annatto, a yellow-orange color additive derived from the tropical achiote trees, and apocarotenal, an orange color additive derived from citrus fruits.

Velveeta is a processed cheese product, cooked and then cooled.

What you really want to stay away from are the products they can't even call cheese - they have to by law label it "cheese food". It's those the individually wrapped slices in packages. Talk about plastic!

Contributor
If you go to King Arthur flour website, click on blogs and you will see a recipe for homemade Velveeta. Looks simple and from reading the blog it is good. I plan on trying it.
Super Contributor
On 10/2/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Once in a while, I use bacon grease in place of olive oil, vegetable oil, or butter. Things taste SO MUCH better!

Good luck with that...{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Esteemed Contributor

No luck needed, ical, just very happy tastebuds!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor
On 10/2/2014 gkelly5744 said:
On 9/29/2014 paShar said:

It's delicious if you cut it up in cubes and add a can of the Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers and then microwave until the Velveeta melts.

Makes a great dip for crackers or tortilla chips!

I make this once a year around Christmas time! I put mine in a crock pot & always add ground beef(cooked) and/or breakfast sausage cooked & crumbled to the cheese mixture with the Rotel. WOW!! Usually have the "scoop" kind of chips with it, it is so very good! The crock pot keeps the mixture nice & soft!

The Rotel dip is the only thing I use Velveeta for as well. I use an electric fondue pot and it works great to keep it warm and melted. I also sometimes add some Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage cooked up, drained and crumbled in. It gives the dip some spice and a nice kick. We always prepare it for Super Bowl parties. I haven't found any other uses for Velveeta other than as a doorstop.

Honored Contributor

for those of you who like to use velveeta, i have a tried and true broccoli cheese soup recipe that i have from an OLD southern living magazine. i dont have it with me, but i will post it here in a few days. it tastes so much better than the broccoli cheese soup from panera! it is an easy recipe that you can put together pretty quickly. i just made a huge pot of it a couple of days ago to sell by the bowls at an alzheimers fundraiser.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, sunshine!

I can't picture it in my head (I get a mental image of dip), but I'm sure it's good.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

Here's my take, if you like Velveeta, then eat it, if you don't like it, don't eat it. But don't try and tell others what they should or shouldn't eat. It's their decision so let them make it.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/30/2014 SUHSE39 said:
On 9/29/2014 paShar said:

It's delicious if you cut it up in cubes and add a can of the Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers and then microwave until the Velveeta melts.

Makes a great dip for crackers or tortilla chips!

Isn't that the truth!!

At the Holidays, if I even let myself have a bite, I'm done! I could grab the bowl, the scoopers and be in bliss!

OMGoodness - my weakness {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor
On 10/3/2014 SusieLong said:

Here's my take, if you like Velveeta, then eat it, if you don't like it, don't eat it. But don't try and tell others what they should or shouldn't eat. It's their decision so let them make it.

Or - you could just let each poster have their opinion, pro OR con, and leave it at that.

Nobody is going to go 'oh, so-and-so said this stuff is qrap so I'm not going to eat it'. They will make their own decisions. That is a good thing. Smiley Happy Some people might research it further but, in the end, they will make their own decisions.