Honored Contributor
On 9/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 9/29/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 9/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Velveeta is very processed and as far opposite from cheese as cheese can get.

Macaroni and cheese does not taste the same without Velveeta. I've tried to make it without (very expensive cheeses, bacon grease, etc.), but it was never, ever as good as it was with Velveeta.

It may be going up because of the milk products. Someone in the butter thread gave an explanation.

You are so right. I will brag here and say I make the best macaroni and cheese I have ever tasted. I only do it a couple of times a year. Usually Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the 4th of July and I am a super healthy eater but when I tasted a ladies mac and cheese yrs ago and it was the best I ever had she said her secret was Velveeta (and a lot of good other cheeses).I couldn't do mac and cheese with just Velveeta but it melts so nicely with lots of other good cheeses and gives the best texture.

I experimented over the years being a cheese snob, I swore I would never use it. My mac and cheese probably has about $35-$40 worth of cheese in it (good fontina, emmentaler, gruyere, cheddar, goat, brie, etc) and no matter what combo I use it just does not work without 4 oz of Velveeta. It just does something magical to mac and cheese that does not taste the same without it.

I also only use heavy cream or half and half. My mac and cheese is definitely not a low fat dish but a couple of times a year won't kill you!

Me too!

I use cream, 2 eggs and butter or bacon grease and other cheeses of choice (the Big Boy likes Mexican, the Little One likes Seriously Sharp). Holidays and special occasions for the kids.

Velveeta is definitely the secret ingredient! I made the Little One's macaroni and cheese for a pot luck. A guy brought his frommage concoction, and while it was good, something was missing. Mine was devoured and he took most of his dish home.

BACON GREASE ........ seriously? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

OMG. {#emotions_dlg.unsure}

Trusted Contributor
On 9/29/2014 paShar said:

It's delicious if you cut it up in cubes and add a can of the Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers and then microwave until the Velveeta melts.

Makes a great dip for crackers or tortilla chips!

Isn't that the truth!!

At the Holidays, if I even let myself have a bite, I'm done! I could grab the bowl, the scoopers and be in bliss!

Trusted Contributor
I even have a old Tupperware Velveeta cheese keeper for the fridge.
Esteemed Contributor
On 9/30/2014 SUHSE39 said:
On 9/29/2014 paShar said:

It's delicious if you cut it up in cubes and add a can of the Rotel diced tomatoes with peppers and then microwave until the Velveeta melts.

Makes a great dip for crackers or tortilla chips!

Isn't that the truth!!

At the Holidays, if I even let myself have a bite, I'm done! I could grab the bowl, the scoopers and be in bliss!

WOW! I haven't tried it yet. Scared to.

How long does it keep at room temperature?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor

Good luck with that, beckyb!

Esteemed Contributor

I only use Velveeta with Rotel for dip, and grilled cheese.

Contributor
On 9/29/2014 JESSA said:
On 9/29/2014 spud188 said: You use velveeta in your pierogi anything else with it?? That is a new one on me,I am not knockng it. Velveeta is the bomb in our house for mac and cheese and grilled cheese's.

I mix it in with the mashed potatoes and I use it because it melts easily. I am thinking I better go with American or the cheddar.

I was taught many years ago to make potato and cheese pierogi with farmers cheese.

Esteemed Contributor

WHY was beckyb's photo poofed?!

Trusted Contributor
On 9/30/2014 GypsyKarma said:
On 9/29/2014 JESSA said:
On 9/29/2014 spud188 said: You use velveeta in your pierogi anything else with it?? That is a new one on me,I am not knockng it. Velveeta is the bomb in our house for mac and cheese and grilled cheese's.

I mix it in with the mashed potatoes and I use it because it melts easily. I am thinking I better go with American or the cheddar.

I was taught many years ago to make potato and cheese pierogi with farmers cheese.

I will have to try that GypsyKarma, thanks.

Jessa
Honored Contributor
On 10/1/2014 HonnyBrown said:

WHY was beckyb's photo poofed?!

Someone without any humor or does not know true art work. Food!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."