Super Contributor

My grandson swears by it as fishing bait for freshwater fish. Maybe it's the hyper- orange color.....

There are cheese substitutes, but there is NO substitute for Velveeta. You just have to pay the price sometimes.

Honored Contributor
On 9/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

Yeah, it's not cheese. (yuck)

I remember when I was a kid, a big ol' box of that was 99 cents. Yikes! How old am I!

Not to worry chickenbutt, at the rate grocery prices have been rising, I'm sure it was 99 cents just two or three years ago, which would make you only about 21 years old today, right!

Honored Contributor
On 9/29/2014 mominohio said:
On 9/29/2014 chickenbutt said:

Yeah, it's not cheese. (yuck)

I remember when I was a kid, a big ol' box of that was 99 cents. Yikes! How old am I!

Not to worry chickenbutt, at the rate grocery prices have been rising, I'm sure it was 99 cents just two or three years ago, which would make you only about 21 years old today, right!

Ohhhh, you're right! Thanks for straightening me out on that. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} I feel better now.

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/29/2014 Anglophilly said:

My grandson swears by it as fishing bait for freshwater fish. Maybe it's the hyper- orange color.....

There are cheese substitutes, but there is NO substitute for Velveeta. You just have to pay the price sometimes.

Very true!!!!!!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Regular Contributor

To each their own but even as a kid I have never liked the stuff. My mother never bought it, thanks mom! I remember it from friends homes. YUK

Esteemed Contributor
On 9/29/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

It's not real cheese ..... do people still actually eat that stuff?

I buy it for macaroni and cheese. I use 1/3 of an 8 ounce block.

DH and DSs eat the rest. The Big Boy swears by Velveeta Grilled Cheese.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

One thing that works well for macaroni and cheese is the Kraft sliced 'cheese'. I buy the one called 'sharp' and use it for grilled cheese.

But I put like one or two of them (one for one serving, two if I'm making two-four servings) in with my real cheese when making macaroni and cheese, and it gives that melty consistency to the sauce. So, it's mostly real cheese, for the flavor, and just a little bit of the fakey cheese is all it takes to give the consistency. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I had no idea anyone made mac and cheese with Velveeta {#emotions_dlg.crying} I use real cheese. It's not that I'm a cheese snob or anything, I just wouldn't think of using fake "cheese" for mac and cheese. I made my mac and cheese last week for DH, and he poked it suspiciously. "But it's not orange," he said. There was eye-rolling from the kitchen.

Trusted Contributor
On 9/29/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Velveeta is very processed and as far opposite from cheese as cheese can get.

Macaroni and cheese does not taste the same without Velveeta. I've tried to make it without (very expensive cheeses, bacon grease, etc.), but it was never, ever as good as it was with Velveeta.

It may be going up because of the milk products. Someone in the butter thread gave an explanation.

I laughed when I read this, because I guess I feel the same.

My mom, who was a really good cook, cooked elaborate meals from scratch and cooked unusual ethic foods back in the fifties when a lot of mothers didn't, always used Velveeta in her mac and cheese. It had big chunks of ham in it, and buttered breadcrumbs on top, and I remember it was delicious. I don't think she used Velveeta for anything else, but it was good in mac and cheese. I've tried a few more gourmet versions with real cheddar and other cheeses and they are just not the same, maybe it's just nostalgia.

Her other strangely un-gourmet dish was a baked bean dish with dried limas and onions and bacon, but the strange thing was she just used ketchup as the main sauce ingredient. Nothing else, no brown sugar, no fancy mustards, just KETCHUP! Who knows where she got that recipe, but I make it every fourth of July and it's so good and people seem to love it. Over the years I would try different baked bean recipes, with lots of ingredients, but I didn't like them as well. And this time, I don't think nostalgia is a factor, because those beans are just wonderful.

I don't buy Velveeta as a rule, but I always think of her macaroni and cheese when I see the old yellow box.

Honored Contributor

Mother bought some once for some recipe she had gotten--back in the 60s. We all thought it looked and tasted like plastic! LOL!!!! I have maybe bought it once or twice in my many years, but it isn't something I've had much experience with.