Contributor

Debating on buying these. Are they any good?

Honored Contributor

Re: Vegan Rob's

[ Edited ]

@Jenpoodee I'm sorry but I would classify this as junk food and, no, this is not something that would even taste good to me.  (These highly processed foods are what can give a vegan a bad name.)  If you are after health or weight loss, eat whole foods.  If you are newly transitioning off of meat/dairy/oils/highly processed foods...be kind, eat lots, but stay with as minimally processed  foods as possible.  A yummy alternative treat might be rice cakes/apples/celery with a little almond butter or maybe baked apples with some cinnamon and a dash of almond milk.  Wishing you much health and yummy eating! 

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Jenpoodee I'm sorry but I would classify this as junk food and, no, this is not something that would even taste good to me.  These highly processed foods are what can give a vegan a bad name.  If you are after health or weight loss, eat whole foods.  If you are newly transitioning off of meat/dairy/oils/highly processed foods...be kind, eat lots, but stay with as minimally processed  foods as possible.  A yummy alternative treat might be rice cakes/apples/celery with a little almond butter or maybe baked apples with some cinnamon and a dash of almond milk.  Wishing you much health and yummy eating! 

@phoenixbrd

Yummy!  I’ll be right over.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe  You are always welcome in my home!  Wouldn't it be fun for all the vegan/plant based sisters got together and had a feast!

Honored Contributor

I read an article last week saying these sort of snacks - not Vegan Rob's specifically - aren't much healthier than other snacks.  But they're less unhealthy than, for example, potato chips. It's nice to think beet puffs and spinach chips are healthy, and I fall into that trap too, but they don't provide great benefits.  On the other hand, maybe they taste great and a purchase is worthwhile just for that.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Drythe  You are always welcome in my home!  Wouldn't it be fun for all the vegan sisters to gather and have a feast!

@phoenixbrd

I must confess, I am not a vegan, but an egg 🥚 eating, otherwise vegetarian.  Hope you don’t kick me out. 😟

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe  You're on your way and moving in the right direction....respect Heart.

@Drythe wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Drythe  You are always welcome in my home!  Wouldn't it be fun for all the vegan sisters to gather and have a feast!

@phoenixbrd

I must confess, I am not a vegan, but an egg 🥚 eating, otherwise vegetarian.  Hope you don’t kick me out. 😟

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Drythe  You're on your way and moving in the right direction....respect Heart.

@Drythe wrote:

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@phoenixbrd

@phoenixbrd

Have not eaten any form of meat in > 20 years.

Much Respect right back to you.

PS ~ I believe in the rise from ashes.

Honored Contributor

Looked at the nutritional value...48-50% fat. 

Oooof.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I looked into these as a potential "healthy snack alternative" last time they aired and was quite surprised at the ingredient list. I don't eat potato chips often, but my Ruffles have just three ingredients—potatoes, oil, and salt, just like homemade—and are better than Vegan Rob's puffs in the categories of sodium and carbohydrates while being the same in terms of fats and calories. (And if I get reduced fat Ruffles, the ingredients are the same and beat Rob's in all the categories.)

I'm always annoyed when companies try to upsell snack foods as being healthy or catered to a specific diet when they're really just the same processed food you can get from virtually any brand at any store. I hope there are some truly great vegan snack options out there for those who want them...