Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

finely chopped vidalia onions, tomatoes, persian cucumbers, chopped parsley, and crumbled feta cheese......sea salt, freshly ground pepper.......olive oil and freshly squeezed lime juice. a refreshing side dish with any meal. we call it shirazi salad.

@sunshine45.  Sounds like the salads I used to get when I lived in Turkey. They were delicious!

Honored Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

Sandwich of sliced fresh garden tomatoes, couple slices 1/4 inch sliced Vidalia onions, & mayo...yum!

@Scorpio1971   Garden tomatoes and mayo is one of my favorite sandwiches.

Respected Contributor

Re: VIDALIA RECIPES?

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme 

Vidalia Sweet Onion Cookbook and Onions Nationwide

by Morris Farms, Uvalda, Georgia, page 101

Rosemary-Glazed Vidalia Onions

3 pounds small Vidalia onions, peeled

salt to taste

Glaze:

1/4 cup butter

1/3 cup sugar

2 tsps. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. dried rosemary leaves

In a 3 quart saucepan add 1 inch of water to onions and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer covered, 20 minutes or until tender, but intact.  Keep onions hot.  Drain water.

Meanwhile, make the glaze by combining butter, sugar, lemon juice and rosemary.  With a wooden spoon stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.  Add onions.  Cook, uncovered 10 minutes turning onions several times until glazed.

Makes 10 to 12 servings.

Note:  This is a cookbook from Morris Farms where I also ordered their Vidalias based on the recommendation of a fellow QVC forum member @sharke last spring.

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

Sandwich of sliced fresh garden tomatoes, couple slices 1/4 inch sliced Vidalia onions, & mayo...yum!

@mousiegirl 

When I was a kid I did not eat BLT's because I was never a fan of bacon.  So my mother always made me a tomato & mayo sandwich or even a lettuce, tomato & mayo sandwich!  They were so delicious & cooling on a hot summer day in those days of few & far between air conditioners!

Esteemed Contributor

For those of you who are looking for a way to perk up plain egg whites . . .

Rough chop your onion, toss it into an 8-10" hot pan with a generous lump of melting butter, toss well.

When onion begins to separate, cover and cook onion until lightly browning (stir as needed).

Spread onion to cover bottom of pan, cover with liquid egg whites (i use about 4 oz), reduce heat, cover & cook until whites are just opaque.

Cover egg surface with a big handful of fresh spinach (I chop mine up) and top that with shaved horseradish-cheddar cheese.

Cover, heat should be at minimum, wilt the spinach and melt the cheese. Top with minced red pepper for color.

Slide it out onto a warmed plate.

Honored Contributor

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@mousiegirl 

When I was a kid I did not eat BLT's because I was never a fan of bacon.  So my mother always made me a tomato & mayo sandwich or even a lettuce, tomato & mayo sandwich!  They were so delicious & cooling on a hot summer day in those days of few & far between air conditioners!

@Scorpio1971   I eat mine open faced on a slice of 21 grain bread, great for breakfast also.  I don't have air conditioning, so on hot days am always thinking up cool meals for me, DH likes a hot meal at night, let him perspire, lol, I stay cool.

Valued Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Scorpio1971 wrote:

@mousiegirl 

@Scorpio1971   I eat mine open faced on a slice of 21 grain bread, great for breakfast also.  I don't have air conditioning, so on hot days am always thinking up cool meals for me, DH likes a hot meal at night, let him perspire, lol, I stay cool.

@mousiegirl 

The open faced idea sounds good too!  Hope you do stay cool!  😊