Respected Contributor

@beckyb1012   Thank you for the. information on the Noonday Texas variety.  I will have to check out their website.

Love food festivals.  I always wanted to visit the Gilroy, California garlic Festival, but never made it.  Do have one of the festival cookbooks.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you OP - I just placed an order with Morris.  I had "V" years ago - This should be fun and thanx for the tips - potatoes don't share a condo with onions.

Honored Contributor

When Vidalia onions are available I buy them dice them up put on cookie sheets to freeze before putting in freezer bags.

We tried to vacuum seal some but when you use them it's rock solid.

We always have cut up onions, jalapeno & bell peppers, celery to use as needed. It makes it easier when you want to cook something.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz Question............rock hard.  Don't they thaw in refrigerator overnight like other things?

So freezer bags are better than FoodSaver method?

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@SharkE   Understandable.  My order works out to around  $1.80 per pound, so except  fo a special sale price at Harris Teeter that they might offer a couple of times during the season I'm happy with this price point and if Significant Other doesn't use them for everything when he cooks I might be able to have them stay good until Christmas!

Anyway,  just like to give you credit for introducing me to the company and the idea of ordering online.  When the supermarkets get them they are available and then poof! they vanish.

When I lived in Connecticut I could buy a ten pound box on special for about 50 cents a pound at Stop and Shop (Giant down here) or ShopRite.  I always used to. watch for the sales.

Have a happy Friday!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Sam's aren't as good, but, they're cheaper. Everything is sky high this yr. Because of a lot of things, corona, and what all that bought with it is the main cause.

Good thing about ordering fresh from GA. is their freshly dug and you know for sure not old crop. I keep mine , believe it or not, in the refrig crisper. Yeah, they develop shoots from the top, but, just cut it off.

No telling what the other places are asking this yr probably 100 bucks ! I can't find anybody cheaper then Morris. Texas Sweets, are awful onion, bad as plain ol' onion.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@Nightowlz Question............rock hard.  Don't they thaw in refrigerator overnight like other things?

So freezer bags are better than FoodSaver method?

@fthunt 

Yes they would but if I forget to take them out of the freezer I have to wait.

They don't get solid in the freezer bags just when you vaccum seal them.

DH uses a straw to suck the air out of the bags. LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

\

@aroc3435 wrote:

@vabreeze   I wrap them individually in squares of old newspaper and put them in canvas bags and keep them in woven seagrass bins on top of my refrigerator.

I think sharke refrigerates hers but I only do that if I cut one open and don't need to use it all in one recipe. 

I'm in a new townhouse with a much larger kitchen area (best feature of the new rental) so may be able to place wrapped and "binned" the same way in a deep under the counter cabinet.

The trick is to not have them touch each other and keep them in the dark and well awaay from storage near potatoes.  Onions and potatoes should never be stored aanywhere near each other.

Cheers!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Thanks for the info, @aroc3435!  I think I'll try storing some this year.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz I can just picture a man with straw huffing and puffing.........can't believe that is efficient nor effective.

Think I'll use the Foodsaver method and tie a string around my finger to remove onion day in advance.

Thanks for the info...................happy Vidalia season to you both!

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@SharkE  I always think of  you when I place my order for the Vidalia onions from Morris Farms in Georgia since you introduced me to this company in 2018 during one of your posts and I've always been happy with this firm and these glorious onions.

So, I just wanted to give you a shout out.  I ordered forty pounds but  when stored properly they keep well and I love their mild, distinct flavor.  

Significant Other will kvetch and moan when the box arrives later in the spring but he finally admits the difference between sweet onions like this and the more typical, year-round, yellow onions.

Their website indicates they will ship the first week of May.

Best,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

I've been buying from a Georgia farm for 3 years, made my order again this year. The man told me he bought the farm and it's now called Henry and Meg,don't know his last name, but he is super nice. Around July I will get an email that his second shipment will be going out, so I order, that way i have onions all winter too. He always thanks me for supporting his small farm, and the onions are always great. I will post his Farm next year when I hear from him.

Honored Contributor

I'll check it out see if I can find it/

thanks !

only thing I hate  about Morris is that ***** Paypal business I avoid it and put  on my credit card, but, when you get the email invoice it will say PayPal and I will call them and make sure it went on my credit card.

I don't want that **** PayPal wish they would drop that ****.

I'd be willing to try another company.