Honored Contributor

Used the Ninja grill/smoker for the 1st time

I finally got to use the recent HSN TS, Ninja grill/smoker last night-

figured out a way to put it on an Origami wheeled cart that is pretty perfect for it. Now have extra storage for all the accessories it came with. The unit itself is pretty heavy and substantial and very easy to use. 

I decided to air crisp first--had salmon and a large chicken breast on the bone--and potato wedges too. It worked pretty good altho it blew out a breaker in this apartment as we had an a/c unit running----I cooked the chicken first then put the fish in along with the spuds---the fish and spuds were perfect but the chicken needed extra time---I don't usually do chicken on bones----I think that was a grocery order replacement for boneless. So far it went well. Will get more adventurous and report back

Respected Contributor

Re: Used the Ninja grill/smoker for the 1st time

@wagirl   My husband has used ours three times and we have it on a bar cart on our porch. The first two times were fine...then, he used the smoker feature on the third time. No way! Our porch was covered in smoke and I was afraid the smoke smell would go into the cushions and pillows...yikes!

So, lesson learned...when he uses the smoker feature....the entire unit has to be removed to the patio. I cannot believe a small unit like this puts out that much smoke! Shocking. Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

We're still on the fence whether to get one.

Having one appliance do the same thing as three or four others is a plus.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@wagirl   My husband has used ours three times and we have it on a bar cart on our porch. The first two times were fine...then, he used the smoker feature on the third time. No way! Our porch was covered in smoke and I was afraid the smoke smell would go into the cushions and pillows...yikes!

So, lesson learned...when he uses the smoker feature....the entire unit has to be removed to the patio. I cannot believe a small unit like this puts out that much smoke! Shocking. Woman Surprised

@wagirl could you use a fan to blow the smoke outwards?

Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

We're still on the fence whether to get one.

Having one appliance do the same thing as three or four others is a plus.

@OKPrincess I have an older version of the indoor grill, so there's really only two things this does vs mine, smoke and the griddle.  I can use a griddle insert in mine, but you can't cook with the lid open so it would be a bit difficult.  Plus, the fact that you have to plug it in and it uses a lot of power means it can't be used in the event of a power outage unless you've got a spare generator to hook it up to which we don't.  I keep thinking back to 2011 when we were without power for a week due to tornadoes that came through and all we had was a propane grill to cook on.  We now have a newer grill that at least has a side heating element, but I'm lusting for one of those Blackstone grills.  

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee --that is very good to know!! I live in an apartment complex and that much smoke would freak people out!! So I guess I won't be smoking anything for awhile---when I was watching the presentations, I noticed there was alot of smoke----thanks for the heads up!!!

Respected Contributor

@wagirl  I must admit I freaked out when I walked out on the porch to ask if my husband needed anything. The entire porch was filled with smoke and the smell lingered for a couple of days.

You might want to give it a try and see how it works for you. I have allergies and I am super sensitive. 

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee ---no I think I will wait to try the smoker part of it. Am very sure my fellow apartment dwellers would not be happy and maybe even call the fire dept seeing so much smoke--I think I would be a little freaked out myself---I did use the grill last night tho and really, I just wanted to be able to do that without the mess of charcoal or propane---worked great!!!

Respected Contributor

We got one and we love it!!!  We live in a house and used it on our back deck. Made the best smoked burgers we have ever had.  Very little smoke smell and clean up on the unit was super easy.  We will use this tons!!