Honored Contributor

Re: Use this for a coffee grinder? (and almost unbelieveable story that's true)

I feel perhaps the OP should just go and do her own shopping. There is no need to stay home and shop anymore. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all of your responses.  I am considering getting an inexpensive coffee grinder and have been checking reviews online.  I kind of like the Hamilton Beach one ($19.99 on Amazon) that has a removable cup which seems like it would be nice for cleaning.  Does anyone have one of those and if so, how do you like it?

ID2, I would like to do my own shopping but am holding off for now.  I live in Dallas County and yesterday we had 300 new Covid cases which is a new record high for one day.  Hospitalizations are also up.  I am 68 and my husband is 87 with high blood pressure.  I do not dare get this virus and bring it home to him.  Our age group is encouraged to stay home if possible and fortunately for us, it is possible.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

I feel perhaps the OP should just go and do her own shopping. There is no need to stay home and shop anymore. 

I totally disagree. I haven't set foot in a grocery store since March 13th, and I don't intend to unless absolutely necessary.  I've had lots of success with Instacart orders and we're lacking nothing. 

@soonersis 

You keep on playing it safe. When it becomes apparent that the numbers are rising steadily, at least those of us who stayed home will be able to feel secure.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I have been staying in since March 15 except for necessary medical appointments.  I'm in my late 70's and have a compromised immune system.  I have my groceries delivered, prescriptions mailed and do other online shopping (QVC, HSN, Amazon, Target, etc.)

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat and @Daysdee , thank you for your support.  I haven't been to the grocery store since March 8. We are so fortunate to have a lovely new Whole Foods close to where we live, and I do miss it,  But I'm grateful that with today's technology I too have been able to order groceries and the other things we need online.  I also like to shop Sprouts and have used Instacart delivery for that a few times.  But their delivery fee is so expensive (delivery fee, service fee, and tip) that tomorow I am picking up an order there (only 1.99 fee) as they also have curbside pickup.  

Honored Contributor

@soonersis 

In case you aren't aware, you can join Instacart Express for $9.99, billed monthly, and then then there are no fees other than that.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

I agree with the thoughts to buy a small grinder. That way there is no cross contamination of taste or odor.

I also think anyone who goes out Willy Nilly shopping when they have other options is a fool. I also think anyone who encourages going out shopping, especially without knowing the person they're encouraging, is a dangerous fool.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@ID2 I'm not going in stores thank you very much! I think a lot of people aren't.  Don't be so judgmental! 

Regular Contributor

I received a bag of whole coffee beans as a wedding favor several years ago.  I just took it to the supermarket the next time I shopped and ground it in their coffee grinder.Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat , thanks for the tip, I did read about the $9.99 Instacart monthly fee but didn't use them often enough for that to be cost effective.  Since I picked up my order at Sprouts Saturday (curbside delivery) for only $1.99 that worked quite well, and I will probably continue to do that now once or twice a month.

As an update on the coffee grinder situation, I decided to get the Hamilton Beach Fresh Grind machine which I found at Amazon for $19.99.  I had put it in my wish list as I wanted to check out a few more reviews on it before purchasing, and when I went back to my list on Sunday it had dropped in price to $16.99 so I bought it then and received it yesterday.  Haven't used it yet as I have some pre-ground coffee to use up first, but appreciate the input of those here who recommended a coffee grinder.