Trusted Contributor

Use this for a coffee grinder? (and almost unbelieveable story that's true)

I have been ordering groceries from Whole Foods via Amazon Prime since we've been self quarantining.  Monday I had an order that included a bag of ground coffee.  I've ordered this before without any problems, but this time I received a bag of whole beans.  Since I don't have a coffee grinder I called Customer Service and they had another bag delivered that day which I thought was good customer service.  But when it came it was the same bag of whole bean coffee!  So I tried again and this time they were out of what I had ordered so substituted another kind which was okay with me, but unbelieveably when it came it too was whole beans!  I gave up at that point and they just gave me credit.  But they can't take the bags back as an exchange so I have to keep them or give them away.  I know I could buy an inexpensive coffee grinder but don't really want another appliance on my kitchen counter. I have a Ninja 1500 watt blender with a blender cup I use all the time for smoothies and making pesto.  Do you think I could use either the blender cup or the big blender to grind the coffee beans?  Has anyone ever done this and if so how many can you grind at a time?  Thanks to anyone who can give me advice in this matter.

Respected Contributor

Re: Use this for a coffee grinder? (and almost unbelieveable story that's true)

I had the same thing happen with a grocery order.  I used just a regular blender...put in about 1/2 cup of beans at a time and ground them. 

I didn't grind to a fine powder...there were some "chunks"....when I was done.  But the coffee tasted great (I used my stovetop percolator), and the "chunks" had dissolved when I emptied the filter basket.

Honored Contributor

@soonersis  What does the user manual state?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I know that you don't want another applicance but some coffee grinders are compact and you can get one for $15.-$20 on Amazon Prime. 

You have three bags of coffee that cost more than a modest grinder and the coffee is so fresh when you grind it yourself.

Respected Contributor

I have a NutriBullet (original - 600W) and it came with a milling blade.  You can use that for grinding coffee.  I imagine you can do so in your Ninja.  But I agree that with 3 bags of free coffee, a small investment in a coffee grinder might be worth it and you would likely be able to get a finer grind.

Honored Contributor

@soonersis There's lots of information out there so Google and see what. you can find.  I think the biggest problem would be not gringing it too fine in the Ninja.  Those inexpensive coffee grinders are just tiny blenders.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

now for the good news, when you finally get through three bags of coffee beans, you will never want to buy anything else.  A small electric coffee grinder from Amazon will cost less than $20 and will work beautifully.

There is nothing better than coffee that is freshly ground and if you don't want to do it in the morning, grind what you need for the next morning the night before. I love coffee and I would never dream of buying already ground.

Honored Contributor

I can understand how you got whole beans.  How does the store know how you wanted them ground or if you wanted the ground at all?  If you grind them in a blender, you have no control over the grind.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Speaking of the stores not taking certain items back - a couple of months ago when there were some shortages showing up I bought a bunch of flour and sugar and needing something in which to store my extras I ordered about six very large lock and locks from Walmart - at that time Q did not have what I wanted. Well, after I received the ones from WM Q came up with some better options so I went on WM website to get return labels so I could mail theirs back - I hadn't even opened the boxes yet.  After I got through with the online return process I clciked to finish and the message from WM said they were processing my refund but I did not have to return the items - it was at least $60-$70 worth. I guess I will just donate them as I don't really want them.

Frequent Contributor

I have the original nutra bullet and I grind coffee in the small cup that it came with.  When the Ninja blender came out, the did show grinding coffee in it as well.  Depending on what blender you have, now I had my original Hamilton Blender from back in the 70s as a enggement gift, I would screw in a small mason jar into the base and I would use that to grind small amounts of things, using a larger mason jar, was like having an individual smoothie jar.