Valued Contributor

Update on Pioneer Womans husband & nephew

They said that Ladd broke his neck in 2 places and had surgery but will be ok. Her nephew had more serious injuries and will also be ok. They are both out of the hospital. They said Ladd will have to wear a neck brace for Alexs' wedding, but they are going to bling it out! So glad they are not more seriously injured than they were. Prayers for continued healing

cookin

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Pioneer Womans husband & nephew

I'm surprised Caleb is out of the hospital already - his injuries were pretty serious.

Trusted Contributor

I guess I'm way behind. How were these serious  injuries sustained? Some kind of ranch accident with a vehicle, a machine, or an animal? 

Valued Contributor

@gizmogal 

Her husband and her nephew were both driving one of their fire trucks. One was headed north and the other south. The wind was blowing and the roads are gravel and there were fires on their fields so visibility was bad and they hit head on. Ladd did not think he was hurt and refused treatment at first, but her nephew was thrown 70 ft (I believe is what they reported). He had a conccussion and internal injuries and some broken ribs. 

cookin

Super Contributor

Very glad they are all OK....BUT

Neither was wearing the provided seat belts.....

Wish she would come out with a public service statement on the importance of wearing them...

Cant believe in this day and age people still dont wear seatbelts...

Crazy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak wrote:

@gizmogal 

Her husband and her nephew were both driving one of their fire trucks. One was headed north and the other south. The wind was blowing and the roads are gravel and there were fires on their fields so visibility was bad and they hit head on. Ladd did not think he was hurt and refused treatment at first, but her nephew was thrown 70 ft (I believe is what they reported). He had a conccussion and internal injuries and some broken ribs. 

cookin

Hold up- Her husband Ladd broke his neck in two places but didn't think he was hurt? How would you not know your neck is broken or at least that something is seriously wrong?

Contributor

The article I read said that Ladd wanted the paramedics to focus on the nephew rather than himself because he thought the nephew was more serious. Ladd drove himself to the hospital.

Honored Contributor

@Ladybug724 

It is actually very easy to have broken vertebrae in your neck and never know it!   

Our family found this out several years ago when my brother had an MRI for another health issue.   The report mentioned 2 vertebrae covering the spinal cord that were broken at some point in his life, and had healed on their own.   Like Ladd Drummonds situation, my brother could have had an instant death situation, or been paralyzed for life from that injury.   

As a teenager, my brother walked away from a MVA without a scratch, but actually had a very serious injury he didn't know about for nearly 50 years!

Respected Contributor

My dentist's former dental partner broke his neck in an ATV accident & didn't know it.  He went to his chiropractor because he was in pain & thankfully, the chiro had the sense to send him for x-rays & didn't start messing with his back/neck first.  He had surgery & it healed well, but had to retire because he could no longer lean over to work in people's mouths for extended periods without pain anymore.

Respected Contributor

Glad to hear that they will both heal in time. This could have been a fatal accident.