Honored Contributor

Re: Unhealthy Stouffers Lasagna

People can choose to eat what works for them. That said, I've never found any of Stouffer's foods to be anything special. Moreover, they're meat lasagna is widely available so was a bit curious why they'd be offered via home shopping. Makes no sense to me, but each to their own.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

With this size, I'm pretty sure this is usually used at large gatherings. It's an extra dish. Stouffers has four or five different lasagnas and they all taste different. One or two of them taste pretty good. When considering sodium, one must consider potassium because in the body, the ratio of the two elements affect blood pressure together. Consider also that added potassium, not occurring naturally in the food can cause stomach upset in some people. 

Honored Contributor

You find  a healthy lasange and I'll beat everyone to it.

Respected Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

I've always wondered why the processed meals contain so much sodium.  If it is made from scratch at home, I don't think the sodium level is nearly as high.  So why do factories have to use so much?

I buy frozen entrees once in awhile because of convenience.  There are very few that I like.  And that's another thing I've wondered about.  You'd think by now the food industry would have figured out how to prepare good-tasting frozen foods that are more healthy than they presently are.  At least cut back on the sodium and fat.

Maybe some day.....

@DottieBlue  just like Campbell's soup and frozen pizza, processed foods taste like cardboard without the high sodium.  salt preserves the food and makes it taste decent because its sooo overprocessed to start with.

i no longer even eat dinner at restaurants. i leave needing to drink gallons of water.  i don't spoon 3 tsp of salt on my food but the restaurant does it for me. no one would eat there if they didnt salt everything.

you don't notice high sodium content until you no longer salt every bite you eat and buy foods with it.   i feel like i've been swimming in the ocean when i eat at a restaurant.   my hubbs has very HBP - controlled yet still high -  so i watch the salt and he does...when we shop we look at the labels.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

NOT hard to find. DO the research. The lasagna I make is HEALTHY,  unlike the sodium laden and fat laden Stouffer's. Mine doesn't include MEAT.

Trusted Contributor

@layla2450 wrote:

@depglass wrote:

NOT hard to find. DO the research. The lasagna I make is HEALTHY,  unlike the sodium laden and fat laden Stouffer's. Mine doesn't include MEAT.

Of course there are tons of recipes for healthy home-made lasanga.  I'm looking for one in the grocery store frozen food aisle!

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I love their mac 'n cheese and also their stuffed bell peppers. But only in moderation.

@SilleeMee 

LOVE!!!

I know I can't copy that sauce, so I don't even try!!!

Stuffed Peppers Family Size Frozen Meal | Official STOUFFER'S®

Since you brought up stuffed bell peppers, have you ever tried the Costco ones?  If so, are they any good?

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue 

So very sorry.  I just saw your message.

Here we have Sams Club; I don't know about Costco.

Honored Contributor

I agree that there isn't any frozen healthy lasagna out there. But a homemade lasagna? Yep. I have finally perfected a healthy lasagna that is delicious and doesn't effect my diabetes! It's all in the pasta! I only use Dreamfields pasta. It tastes like traditional pasta but helps keeps my blood sugar under control. Yum!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Stouffer's bigwigs needs to tap into social media. They've changed their mac and cheese, and not just the color of the tray. I found this photo, which perfectly represents what I found when I last purchased it about a month ago. DH used to love it. I'd microwave it, add some Tabasco, then put it in the oven for a bit. Tossed with cooked broccoli was good, too. 

Though amusing to read, the usual pleas on various platforms to "please bring back the old recipe" surely won't be heeded; they seldom are. And Stouffer's CS team members have one perfunctory response to each complaint: We're sorry. Please DM us. Give me a break.

Needless to say, I won't be buying this again. It's now just another pleasant memory.

315074559_10219156742263690_7512430438645666995_n.jpg

What worries you masters you.